Roguard vs. Blackened Stainless Steel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff Thomas

I'm tempted to post this in the Smithy section, but I suspect I'll get more responses here (apologies to Rich if I have guessed wrong).

I have a stainless steel Para P-12 Limited. It is showing a bit of wear, and the slide is now highly polished but with some minor scratches in it.

I was considering a refinish done on it, with NP3 for the internals and frame, and then having the slide blackened. However, the fellow at Robar suggested Roguard instead.

I have no idea, but blackening the stainless steel and otherwise leaving it as is just sounds more durable than any type of coating. Does anyone at TFL have any experience with the effects of blackening stainless steel. Am I really better off to go with Roguard on the slide? [I'm considering a black slide for (ooh, I hate to say this ;) ) 'tactical' purposes ...]

[This message has been edited by Jeff Thomas (edited June 25, 1999).]

jwong

Jeff,

Personally, I have not had any experience with re-blackening a slide, but two friends of mine have... One had a matte black teflon finish put on both the slide and frame, and the other had his slide reblued. Both handle their guns with about the same care and both practice drawing from a holster about the same amount. The teflon held up much better than the rebluing... The matte teflon had a rougher finish, but also much duller look in sunlight... I guess that it depends on what kind of blackening process you use, i.e. standard re-bluing, black teflon, etc... I've heard good things about Roguard, but never personally seen it.

As far as a "tactical" look and function, I would go with a matte black teflon coating of some kind. Note though that a competent person/company should be used, otherwise the coating can flake off too easily... Which I've seen happen to a couple of guns at the range... Good luck...

Paul B.

Jeff. I have a .45 acp that has the NP3 on the frame, and ROGARD on the slide. It has held up quite well for about 3 years now, and only shows slight wear on the very tip of the slide. Too many draws I guess. I would recommend it myself.
Paul B.

Joe 543

You might want to try "Arizona Response Systems". "Gun Plumber" use to work for Robar at one time. Now he has his own shop. Check out "Metacol III" on his site www.arizonaresponsesystems.com

Joe.

I personally like the "well worn" look of my ole' SIG P226..........

Status
Not open for further replies.