Roguard/NP3 or Hard Chrome?

jmstr

I am going to get my Kahr K9 refinished and am trying to decide between these finishes. I like the idea of the NP3's lubricating properties for the internals, but I want a finish I can carry IWB and not have to worry too much about scratches or corrosion from body moisture. It seems Hard Chrome is the toughest, but how tough is NP3 or Roguard for the scratch/abrasion resistance? I ask because Hard Chrome also seems to have the least lubricating properties. Any suggestions? It was/is their Matte Black finish [i.e. blued steel], so any of these are probably an improvement and I am very good at maintaining things, I just like the least hassel. Color is the least important issue, but [if all things were EXACTLY equal] I would probably go with a darker finish. Thanks!

jason

jason, I've got a Hi-Power in Roguard/NP3 finish. To get a good idea of how that finish will hold up under heavy use, check out:

http://www.ont.com/users/kolya/HiPo.htm

(Go to the bottom of the page for the Roguard/NP3 report).

In terms of wear/abrasion resistance, Robar claims they can actually produce an electroless nickel finish that is tougher than hard chrome, has better corrosive protection and better lubricity.

The Roguard finish seems to be the best as far as corrosion resistance goes (2000+ hours in a 110 degree salt water spray); but I have personally not been tremendously impressed with its wear resistance. The wear resistance is better than bluing but about equal with the enamel finish that FN uses on military guns.
The actual Roguard finish has no self-lubricating properties though (which is why it is usually combined with NP3). Both hard chrome and nickel have self-lubricating properties but not to the same degree as NP3 (which combines nickel with PTFE).

In any case, wear resistance IS important since a finish that wears off doesn't provide extra slickness or as much corrosion protection.

I can't help you with your decision too much since even with the knowledge of Roguard and NP3, I'm still trying to decide on the uber-finish for a gun. I recommend you check out the wear and tear on the Roguard/NP3 parts of my Hi-Power (pictures included) and then follow the links to Robar Guns excellent explanation of the various metal finishes.

croyance

You aren't worried about external lubricating properties. You are concerned about this on the rails and other bearing surfaces of your gun. IWB carry should not wear out the finish on the interior of your gun.

At a guess, my skin will wear less than my clothing, especially my jeans.

How pretty your gun looks after some carry use is a different matter.