Roe Deer (this time): Experience with Federal Hydra-Shok in 9x19mm, 124gr?

Para Bellum

Hi there,

to complete what I've startet with the hog-thread:

Anybody here who has experience with Federal Hydra-Shok in 9x19mm, 124gr, on Roe Deer (capreolus capreolus) or similar game?

images

Scorch

For information for those members not living in Europe, roe deer are smallish deer, roughly 2' at the withers, 3' body length, roughly 65 lbs. I remember them from time in Italy years ago.

Para Bellum, I seem to remeber something about minimum energy requirements at 100m or some such regulation, a lot of folks using high-velocity 22 centerfire rounds (like 222, 222 Mag, 223, 22-250, 5.6X57) and various 6mm rounds. What do you use to hunt them?

Para Bellum

My sidearm is for self defense only.

7x57, but what I do doesn't matter here. Many Europeans also use .243 on roe deer.

The question is asked because HydraShoks were banned here in 1996 and became legal again recently. A guy told me that he had used 124gr 9x19 HydraShoks on boar for close work (finishing shots) and the had worked well. I doubt that and that's why I started the similar boar thread. Since the roe deer's chest is much smaller (similar to homo sapiens btw), I also started this thread to see if anyone had experience with that.

I'd always shoot andy game with a rifle at any distance. Part of my ethics. I owe the cleanest fastest death I can provide for. My sidearm is for self defense only.

rantingredneck

I've never shot a Roe Deer, but I have used 9 x 19 124 grain hydrashoks as finishing rounds on Whitetail Deer and they served that purpose well. As did 124 grain PMC Starfires, and 115 gr UMC JHP's IIRC. I've also used various .40S&W and .45ACP rounds with success.

Here it's legal to use any pistol round to finish wounded/dying game and some hunters elect to use a .22LR pistol.

VaFisher

Para Bellum, Part of my ethics. I owe the cleanest fastest death I can provide for

I am glad to hear you say this, most hunters can learn from people that feel this way but when you started the other post it had me wondering why.