Rodeo vs. Vaquero vs. Cimarron

YosemiteSam357

I'm thinking of picking up a new SA. I've got two Rugers now, a Bisley Vaquero in .357 mag, and a Bisley Single Six .22. The new one will most likely be .45 Colt.

It looks like the Cimarron can be had for a little less than a NM Vaq, and Rodeo is a couple hundred beyond that. I'm sorta sold on the Rodeo, but I admit it's more because I want to like it.

An OM Vaq will let me shoot stouter loads, but I'm not so much interested in that. Will the Rodeo be at least as strong as the NM Vaq or Cimarron?

Anyone want to talk me out of getting a Rodeo in favor of something else?

-- Sam

O.S.O.K.

The three mentioned

are all of similar strength insofar as loads are concerned. The Ruger will outlast the other two in terms of longevity due to its completely modern design and construction.

If you want "traditional" then I would personally put my money in the Uberti Cimarron - you don't say what model but lets say "P" model. Why? Well because they make a quality, near-copy of the Colt for a very reasonable price - why spend more? Spend the extra cash on some nice leather for it - like from El Passo Sadlery for example. Or ammo or components and a Lee Loader if you don't reload yet...

Nothing wrong with the US FA Rodeo at all though - its a very nice revolver - just not that much nicer than the Cimarron.

IMHO

YosemiteSam357

Thanks for the reply.

Given that, is the "Pistolero" model significantly inferior to the standard "P" model internally? Will that brass grip frame cause me problems? I just happen to like the matte finish rather than the "case hardened" look.

-- Sam

Eghad

If you want an exact copy of the older Colts Cimmaron is your gun. if you want something more modern then the Ruger Vaqeuro. I own a Uberti and two of the New Ruger Vaqueros in 45 Colt both are fine guns. You can also get both in polished stainless steel :D

sundance44s

I`m starting to give the USFA guns a close look myself ..I own 4 1858 Remmies made in Itialy and I just would like something better made in America ..Rugers I`ve had ...little on the clunky side for me and not as good a reproduction of anything ...of course I don`t really think Ruger tries to be anything but a Ruger .........I read a news wire not long ago USFA is comming out with a 1858 Remmie ...Just hopeing its something I can afford ..I`d sell all my Italian made Remmies for an American made . Maybe when the time comes I`ll reduce my stash to one USFA Peacemaker and one Remmie . I just hope it doesn`t break the bank ..the USFA Rodeo is in reach , not so sure about the Remmie yet.