Rod & Gun Clubs

CWL

Y'all,

I have a question regarding any Rod & Gun clubs you may attend. Do any of your R&G clubs actually deal with fishing?

The ones I've attended, namely in N. CA don't seem to have anything to do with fishing. I have yet to see anyone carrying a fishing pole, let alone strike up a conversation with any anglers (though I am sure plenty fish elsewhere).

The Rod & Gun clubs around here are simply shooting ranges/clubs, some even have alcohol-serving clubhouses.

Nothing wrong with this of course, but I was just wondering why even bother with the use of "rod" at these places.

When I was growing up, my dad belonged to a Rod & Gun Club. There was fishing there, and plenty of talk about fishing (mainly about the one that got away; hey while you are up, get me another beer).
The club I belong to now calls itself a Sportsman's club. It is strictly guns.

RAY WOODROW 3RD

Our club the,"Buckeye Gun Club" isn't just a gun club. We have Bow hunters and black powder hunters. I believe we even have 2 surf fisherman but as for conversation about fishing I have never really heard any and I've been around the club since I was knee high to a grasshopper. We are mainly a deer hunting club. No fish talk here.

KSFreeman

One of the gun clubs I belong to in south part of my county has ponds available for fishing--bluegill, redears, rock bass, crappie and large and smallmouth bass. Good fun for the kids, I guess.

I go to shoot and to be tactical.:D No booze on premises. Have to go back into the city and run into the young & nubile.

Rembrandt

Our club has about 80 acres (no hunting), 5 acre lake with plenty of fish, 50-100-200yd rifle range, indoor and outdoor pistol range, archery practice range, 3D archery course, beautiful clubhouse with over 50 species of game mounts from all over the world that can be rented, Trap-Skeet-Sporting Clays, camping and picnic areas. We have fishing clinics, Hunter Ed classes, NRA Firearm training, all kinds of firearm competitions. No alcohol permited on the property, have roughly 750 families that belong. Has received the NRA's "Presidents Award" for outstanding club.......all run by volunteer club members, dues are $75 per year. Have hosted a number of Celebrity shoots and events over the years....(Iowa)

Gumbo

Every Air Force R&G club I have belonged to had nothing of the rod but a broken fly rod over the door as a joke. At Hill, we have a nice skeet/trap range with attached sporting clays and a decent archery range including a 3-D course.

yankytrash

At our Rod & Gun in upstate NY we had a stream that we whizzed in on occasion. Does that count? :D

Otherwise, it was just guns and parties. Lotsa parties.

M1911

Ours is just about shooting. But a couple clubs in the area have stocked ponds for fishing.

M1911

12GA

The Sportsmen Club I belong to has a stocked pond along with a variety of indoor and outdoor target shooting ranges. We hold the occasional fly casting clinic and annually hold a fishing derby for the kids. The club meets monthly and discusses local fishing, hunting (bow and firearm) and 2A issues. Oh yeah, the monthly meeting is held in the clubhouse which serves beer and liquor.

MarineTech

I'm a part of the Durham Rod and Gun Club here in Maine. At our range facility, we have a stocked trout pond for catch and release fishing. We're in the process of forming a relationship with LL Bean in Freeport on fishing. They recently had their "Youth Fishing Tournament" at our pond.

K80Geoff

Yankytrash. Was that the club next to and uphill from the NYC reservoir:D

I've seen some clubs where guys are always fishing for excuses why they missed the last clay target. Does that count:rolleyes:

Hemicuda

What I'm waiting for is...

a Rod & Gun club where the "Rod" is short for HotRod... We have a local "Rods and Relics" but they are only about cars...

PATH

Well let's see?

In Orange County, New York, I belong to the Blackrock Fish and Game Club. They do lots of fishing as well as sponsor fishing tournaments for the kiddies. Big time fishing and hunting type club that has its fair share of pure shooters.

Also in Orange is the Monroe-Chester Sportsmens Club. The big groups at this club are the Trap and Skeet crowd and the preserve people.(Bird hunters). Mostly a shooting club with hunting overtones. Not much in the way of fishing if at all. I shoot here as a member quite a bit.

Up in Ulster County I belong to Wawarsing Rod and Gun. The club sponsors fishing events for adults as well as kiddies. I use the club mainly for its range as it is a 1 and 1/2 hour drive. The range is nice though!

My New Jersey Club only meets on Friday nights at the Park Ridge Police Range. Pascack Valley Sportsmen is purely a pistol and .22 rifle type club.(Rules don't ya know).

I'd have to say that if you see the word 'Rod' in the title that the odds are good that there might actually be some fishing going on!
At least in my experience that is.

Kentucky Rifle

I've often wished that there was a really nice gun club/range/other nice amenities/ in Louisville. My wife DID find out about a really good and close place the other day from a patient. The "snag" is that it's a key club and by charter, only 250 keys/members are allowed. (Nice fishing lake too!) Our names are now on the waiting list, however there are over 40 names in front of ours!:(

(Here is where I'd like to say SH**!)

KR