rock river tactical?

sanchezero

1 more thing :eek:

What will I be missing out on going post-ban v. pre-B?

Is it fairly easy to come up with decent 30rnd mags?

Thanks again...

:D

Steve Smith

Rock River builds a good rifle. You may be able to beat that price if you shop locally. Don't get the entry stock...it is way too short. Some guys here have gotten in and added a spacer and they're happy. Pre bans will cost about $300 more on the low end for the same rifle, but it can have a bayonet lug, collapsible stock, and flash hider. You decide whether its worth the extra money or not.

sanchezero

stock

looking on rock river's website, I found a variety of stocks to choose from.

Can I just replace the stock on the above rifle with one of these pre-B adjustables? They're only $100. Also I saw somewhere else (not sure, been awhile) an extendable buttplate: two bars that slide in and out of the stock and support the buttplate. How bout this thing?

Its all so confusing :(

Thanks...

Steve Smith

NO, you may NOT attach a collapsable stock to a post-ban rifle, period. That should be plainly evident in my first post to you. If you are a troll or a gov't agent, I don't appreciate your baiting questions. GET LOST!

yankytrash

Although he raises a good question - are those Extendable buttpads considered to be a telestock? I'd like to hear some opinons on this.

sanchezero - If you're for real, please don't take Steve's post personally. It's just that with these friggin "sniper" attacks as of late, many in the gun-owning community, especially AR owners, are getting antsy. These fears are not unfounded, what with the anti-gunning community's hatred of the AR and it's like. The events are perfect ammunition for another, stricter, "Assault Weapons" ban that we'll have to fight.

It's posts like yours (various posts about AW's, long range gear, long range tactics, etc) from new users like yourself that's bringing the paranoia out in some of us. Heck, curiosity seekers because of recent events put AR15.com on lock-down, because of too many "guest" users.
It's like the T-ball coach that's standing at the mound and gets hit in the jewels by a line drive - He meant well, he was just standing at the wrong place at the wrong time. ;)
Hope your stay at TFL is a pleasant one.:)

2minkey

i would go for a chrome lined barrel in that config.

ar15.com boards, in the equipment exchange. there is a guy there, pete in NH is his handle. great dealer. sells postban chrome m4 rock river barrels, will build you something nice for a good price, prolly comparable to what you;re looking at.

i paid 310 for my RR lower with a two stage trigger. upper would prolly run ~500 chrome lined - it's a mere $30 option i believe.

fit and finish on rock river is great. my RR lower is better finished than my bushy upper. RR two stage trigger is great, worth the extra 100 or so, though not necessary for an m4gery "blaster" type AR.

http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=22&t=132989

Redlg155

Although he raises a good question - are those Extendable buttpads considered to be a telestock? I'd like to hear some opinons on this.

Hmmm..Technically they could be considered in the same category as the collapsible stocks. I don't think the BATF really wants to mess with them because of their "non tactical" status. They are more suited to match shooting and pretty much appeal to a different crowd, one that the BATF would be less likely to want to lock horns with due to the many influential folks that shoot Hi Power match. I may be wrong, but that's just my opinion.

As for Pete..he's a great guy to deal with. I've done a lot of business with him and he is very timely. He will deliver as promised and knows what he has in stock when you call. Unlike some dealers that say they have something in stock but are actually waiting on a shipment..they just want to make the sale...(I'm not going to mention names, but they are in my state).

Good SHooting
RED

sanchezero

LOL

Sorry to stir the hornets nest there Steve; I had no idea I was baiting...

So, to be clear(er, ish, maybe?)- if I buy a post ban rifle, I can't modify it it any way with pre ban acc? How about mixing pre/post uppers and lowers?

I'm a rifle newb so I may be asking the stoopid...I haven't fired a long gun since I left the military about 8 yrs ago :D

I also noticed on RRA's site regular length fixed AR stocks. I could put one of them on if I found the entry too short, right? They're only $25 :p

Anyway, I'm not a FED or a left-wing correspondent from (you pick the media venue). I'll try to step more lightly.

Thanks fellas.

Steve Smith

Stop asking al those nasty questions! NO, if the lower is post ban, NOTHING pre-ban may be put on it. Period.

Edit: You COULD put a flash hider on it if you EITHER remove the pistol grip OR weld up the mag well so it doesn't have a removable magazine. Sound nice? NO.

You see, there's a list of "nasty bits" that you can only have a few of. (three I think) The AR post-ban fills those requirements. In order to get one more nasty bit, you have to lose a nasty bit. I could be wrong, but I think the collapsable stock is just out period.

Does anyone know if you can put a collapsable stock on one of those goofy AR's without a pistol grip? Purely academic, of course...who'd want that?

BTW, you CAN have a pinned (fixed length) "fake" tele stock on a post ban. They are uncomfortable and silly, though.

johnwill

Since a post-ban rifle already has two of the defining "evil" features, a handgrip and a detachable mag, you can't put any more of the "assault weapon" bad features onto it. It's doubtful you'd want to remove either of the above features to allow addition of some other feature. The illegal features for a post-ban in the configuration described above are:

- tele stock
- flash hider (though a compensator is legal)
- threaded barrel
- bayonet lug

Also, you obviously can't put a barrel shorter than 16" on the gun, though one of those 11" barrels with the 5" compensator permanently attached is legal, the overall length is still 16".

sanchezero

after-market sights?

The above mentioned rifle is stocked with iron sights, which I like. However I'm kinda interested in an aimpoint/ghostring type tactical system. No scope, just the rear dot jobbie.

Any recommendations for a shorty like this?

Keep in mind I don't know what I'm talking about :) and I'd rather not pay more for the sight than the actual weapon :D

Thanks.

Steve Smith

NO PRE-BAN SIGHTS EITHER!

:D

Gotcha!

Assuming it has a fixed carry handle, you cat get a "gooseneck" that will put a red dot low and in between the two irons.

sanchezero

no- its a flat top, I think with weaver-style rails (?) :)

So are you saying that with post-ban rifles I'm limited to certain sights?

Is there a document somewhere that makes all of this clear(ish)?

:mad:

Thanks.

edit: can you use pre-ban mags in a post-ban rifle? :(