Rock River Lightweight Mountain Rifle

btmj

I have two questions, and I welcome all comments…

1) Does anyone have experience with the Rock River Lightweight Mountain Rifle? I have a 2011-vintage Rock River M4-copy with an HBAR 16” barrel, a meaty solid aluminum free float hand guard, and scope. I am happy with the accuracy, but It is a heavy beast at 9.75 lb. I would like to buy a new upper with the intent of getting a much lighter firearm. RRA lists the Lightweight Mountain Rifle at 6.2 lb, so I am guessing that putting “Lightweight Mountain Rifle Upper” on my receiver would result in something similar. I will use a red-dot sight (probably EOTECH) and flip-up irons.

2) Although I am very happy with RRA, I am not committed to this roll-mark… any other suggestions for a light-weight accurate upper with 16” barrel? The RRA upper is $700, so I am looking for suggestions in that general range.

Thanks.....

COSteve

RRA's 16" lightweight 'Mountain Rifle' AR at 6.2lbs sounds great until you notice that it doesn't have any sights or a sling so it's incomplete as sold. Further, it's got a rail which just begs one to add more 'stuff' to weigh it down.

I started with a RRA Elite CAR A4 mid-length gas, HBAR carbine I bought 14 years ago and after loading it up with junk for the first year, I realized that I wanted light weight. 12 years ago, RRA didn't offer a lightweight barrel option like they do now so, I sent the upper to Steve at ADCO to have the barrel re-profiled as a lightweight and shortened to 14.7" with a silver soldered A2 FH. That took off almost a full 1½ lbs of weight alone.

Even though it's shorter, it's now more accurate as Steve gave it a great crown on the muzzle. It's a great bowling pin shooter at 200 yds even with iron sights so it's plenty accurate with the included 2 stage NM trigger and my 55 and 62grn Hornady fmj handloads.

I completed the lightweight makeover by adding a CTR buttstock, Enidine buffer, MOE mid length handguard, a Troy BUIS rear sight, a customized pistol grip to fit my hand much better, a mountain trigger guard, and a simple cotton sling.

Simple, lightweight, accurate, and reliable. As it sits as a complete usable carbine, empty it weighs 5lbs 15oz and loaded with a full 30rd mag, it weighs 7lbs 0oz. Now that's a real 'Lightweight Mountain Rifle'. The proof of the end product is that I've had it this way for 12 years and have no desire to mod anything on it.

NLt98CV.jpg

COSteve

BTW, for a bit longer range shooting in a rock stable AR (how about shooting medium size apples at 400yds) I took my RRA A4, added a real walnut stock set, a custom walnut target pistol grip, a decent compact 12x scope, and simple sling. Not a lightweight by any means at 10lb 11oz empty and 11lbs 12oz with a full 30rd mag, but solid and accurate as heck. It makes vaporizing those pesky apples a pleasure.

EEH3yEK.jpg

Together, they make quite a pair of ARs.

NlaiBdW.jpg