rock island mini 1911 380

oldbear1950

I just purchased a new rock island mini 1911 380. Seems to have good reviews, but have not fired it yet.
Was wondering if anyone has any experience with one of those

The Llama is a copy of of the Star.

I've never seen one of the Stars in person, but I have handled one of the Llamas -- exactly like the Llama used for comparison in the review I linked above.

One of the other Philippine gun makers is (or was, two years ago) making a copy of it, too, under the name Llama.

HisSoldier

There is much about the RIA Baby Rock that is "Llama", but only the poorer Llama's, in that every Llama I've ever owned has a locking breech, which are much better.
Once I bought a Llama and found, after getting it out of the package, that it was a blowback, so I sold it to the first undiscriminating person I came across.
When RIA started advertising it's new "Baby Rock", before they had any for sale, it was projected to be a locked breech pistol.

But by the time it came out they had decided they could only offer it as a locked breech gun, and from what I know about RIA, they surely have the expertise to have followed suit as originally hyped, but didn't.

The only reason I can think of is cost.

Past all that, (And that's a lot!) I guess so many years later I might lower myself to buy one, with apologies to the lowly poor Llamas which work so well for me at least with the locked breech design, because the RIA's are such a great value for the quality they come with, 4140 steel instead of so many lesser alloys used these days, and genuine 1911 type controls.

Alas, with inflation robbing us of the money needed to even run the household these days I can't afford even one of these underpriced while over qualified weapons.

Still, if they'd made them locked breech I'd have one already.

kenny53

I don't remember what happened to my Llama 1911, but it was a good gun. I like both of my RIA's, one in 45acp the other 9mm. I have to believe the RIA .380 would be more fun to shoot then my Ruger LCP.