Rock Island Armory M1911 .45...An Observation.

Slabside

Yesterday, at the shop, I saw my first example of the Rock Island Armory M1911 .45. Of course, I've seen the ads in Shotgun News but hadn't seen one in person.

Well, the piece had a good slide to frame fit, all metal parts, had a smooth trigger, and the finish was very good.

Now, my comments aren't endorsement but, I can tell you from my observation that, for $349, it could be a good value...at least for a base.

Slabside

blades67

They're made in the Philippines by ArmsCorp, the same company that makes the Charles Daly. Well, the slide and frame are, I'm not sure who the other parts come from.

croyance

I read a recent review in a gun magazine (March 2002 Combat Handguns). It got generally good reviews.

The more interesting part was that they got one to Cylinder and Slide. They put in a Novak rear sight, King front sight, lowered the ejection port, polished the feed ramp. A National Match bushing was added, as well as a 18.5 lb recoil spring, new grip safety, and new trigger group. There were a few other changes.
The total for parts and labor was $605.23

The magazine said a Rock Island was $285 for them. So it was less than $900 total.

fix

So they took a Philipino gun and turned it into a SA Loaded, for about the same price.

That's what I was thinking. Personally, I'm thinking of picking one up but leaving it stock, for plinking.

mlk18

Newer issue of shotgun news also has a review of the RIA 1911's. They seem to like them, and basically claim that they are a best buy "value" 1911.

mlk18

Slabside

I contacted Claudia Masen at johnmasen.com. She confirmed that Twin Pines(Armscor Precision) does use Masen parts for the Rock Island Armory 1911 .45.

Slabside

mlk18

I have "almost" purchased the mid-sized (I presume Officer's sized) model with the Bull barrel, full length guide rod and novak style sights a couple times. For $329 sounds like a hell of a deal, or too good to be true.

mlk18

AK103K

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So they took a Philipino gun and turned it into a SA Loaded, for about the same price.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sure its WAY better than that piece of crap SA Loaded I got!

Meowhead

This weekend I looked over a RIA 1911 at a gun shop. Very interesting, especially considering the price.

Frame was stamped as manufactured somewhere (I forget the city) in Nevada. :confused: