rock island armory commander initial impressions.

2002gti

i just picked it up and the trigger on this thing is very good. slide to frame fit is pretty tight with a very slight rattle when shaken. good deal if its a shooter for $370 out the door. a guy from my work said there is an article in guns and ammo on ria 1911's. anyone seen it?

magsnubby

I don't know about the Guns and Ammo artical but i also own a RI Commander. I had shot my buddy's RI 1911 and his RI Commander. We put 500 hundred rounds through his Commander in one session. Not one single malfunction. I was impressed with it. The first range session with mine was a big dissapointment. First two shots went bang just like they were supposed to. Next one didn't go completly into battery. Out of two mags it didn't go completly into battery six times and the slide locked back several times. I replaced the recoil spring with a 22 lb Wolf spring and also replaced the mag springs. My next range session was much better. I put 350 rounds through it with no problems. I've been told this is a common problem with commander size pistols. Usally a spring change is all that's required to get 'em up and running. I think the RI guns have great potential.

2002gti

ive got a 20# spring on the way. its for a 4.25" barrel, will i need to cut any coils off? i also noticed there was no lube on the rails so i lubed everything up really good. the only oil on the gun was on the guide rod?

magsnubby

I've never tried cutting a spring down. Seems like that might weaken it a bit. You should always use a good lubrication. I use Slide Glide (or Break Free) on the rails and barrel lugs. Slide Guide is a high pressure grease that was made specially for high wear surfaces. A word of caution concering replacing the recoil spring. Be verrrry patient. Since it's a bit stiffer than the stock spring it can be a little harder to install. I field stripped it per the instructions, put the barrel in a padded vice then removed the stock spring. To install the new spring i reinstalled the barrel, replaced the bushing,installed the spring on the guide rod and pushed the assembly through the slide. Happy shootin'.

2002gti

i got the spring for the 4.25" but it was too narrow, wouldnt go onto the guide rod. anyone know which spring to use for a 4" ria?

2002gti

shot it today for the first time and it is pretty accurate. out to 40 yards i was able to hit tin cans with some consistancy although not as consistant as my kimber. came home and the 20# spring was in the mailbox. i just installed it and seems really stiff, i dont know how the 22# would go together as the extra power from the 20# seemed alot. i fired 100 rounds of wolf with 2 failures to go fully into battery wich the new spring should remedy. cmc power mags were used. this pistol as advertised by happy TFLers is a great value for your shooting dollar....i'll be getting a full size in a month or two.......