Rock island armory 1911 compact 9mm

bspillman

Anyone use one of these? How do you like it? Is it easy to ccw? Is 450 used a good price? Thanks in advance.

Don't have a Rock Island, but they are good guns. One of my primary carry guns is a Colt M1991A1 Compact in .45 ACP. Same size pistol. I like it a lot -- been carrying it for years.

$450 is a good price if it's the Tactical model, not a great price if it's the GI model.

osbornk

I have a full size RIA in 9mm. It has been flawless and very accurate. Mine is the "Rock", formerly known as Tac 1. It was under $500 out the door at Gallery of Guns.

MandolinMan

$450 used sounds high to me. I recently found a Rock Island full size tactical model in 45 acp for $325 at a LGS.

Do you know what model it is?

tallball

I got a somewhat similar pistol lately (Star BM) and really like it. That's a nice size and weight for a 9mm.

Prof Young

I have a Rock Island . . .

I have a Rock Island full sized that I paid just under $400 for. It's my first and only 45 /1911. It runs well, rarely jams, (maybe never as I can't recall any) and I can hit what I'm aiming at at 15 yards. I did change out the grips for something with finger ridges and I changed the barrel bushing for one that has an extension with ports in it. I bought the thing after finding some 45 cal brass in my range pick up stuff. Compared to a 9mm it's huge and I just had to try shooting something that big. Lotta fun. I do have a Sig p238 which is kind of like a little 1911. I shoot it well too.

Life is good.
Prof Young