Rock Island 1911s

xdshooter

Has anyone ever owned and/or fired a Rock Island 1911? If so what do you think of them? I was thinking about either a rifle or a 1911 for my next toy, and I really cant spend that much money on one. I was thinking a Galil .223 or a Rock Island 1911. They are far closer to my price range than like a colt or a kimber. Or even a springfield. Anyways thanks for the advice in advance! :)

egor20

I've been carrying a RIA CS off and on for 6+ years. Its very well built for the money, I've had 2 FTFs and 1 FTEs in all that time (I blame the ammo not the gun). BTW I have two Galils, nice shooting guns, one scoped and one iron site with a folding stock.

ChrisJ715

Had an RIA for about 6 years now. Never a problem that didn't involve bad ammo. I love it. Accurate, reliable. Great value for the money.

SilentHitz

I own 2 RIA Tactical models, and they both run as good as any of my other 1911s. Just invest in some good magazines, some RIAs come with cheap mags. One of mine did and I tossed it and got some Chip Mc mags...runs great now.

xdshooter

For mags, I see some 7rd mags in the catalog I got today :) for 6.99. They also have 8rd Armscor Novac mags for 19.99 each. I was thinking that the 6.99 ones may be cheaply made since no manufacturer is listed. I guess I could go ahead and buy 2 of the armscor 8rders.

Last edited:

1911A1Bob

I had one of the plain-jane GI models a while back. It wouldn't feed hollowpoints very well (at least not Hydra Shoks or Golden Sabers), but with FMJ it would go all day and work beautifully. As a GI style gun it had the small sights but once I drifted them to the right to reflect the POI for the 230gr load I was using it was very accurate.

xdshooter

Hey, Bob, you joined TFL a day before me! But I don't know how to react to the weapon not feeding HP rounds very well. That is life or death situation type stuff there. I would only be loading the HPs for SD rounds anyways so that kind of throws me off. Might just get the Galil instead. :confused:

1911A1Bob

Yup, we joined up pretty close there! But before you let that run you off, mine was the plainest version. Some of the guys here who have the upgraded tactical pistols or a different experience from mine may have JHP loads that run through their RIA's just fine. Plus nowadays there are some of those expanding FMJ loads and Hornady's Critical Defense loads.

45Gunner

Has anyone ever owned and/or fired a Rock Island 1911? If so what do you think of them?

Yup, got one of my very own. I think they are a very decent entry level gun. I have never had a problem with mine.

If this is what fits your budget, you certainly would not be disappointed and you will indeed get a lot of bang for your buck. As time goes on, you can spend a few bucks doing some upgrades such as night sights but if you were planning on sinking big bucks into it, I would consider moving up to something like a SA or Kimber.

skoro

Has anyone ever owned and/or fired a Rock Island 1911? If so what do you think of them?

I've owned a RIA compact for two years and shot it quite a bit. Works real well and I like it. Only thing I've done to it is change grips to some slim double diamonds. It's not a fine example of the guncrafter's art, but it's a heck of a nice gun for the money.

ksblazer

Maybe I just a sucker for 1911's

But I have 2 Rock Islands. A full size GI and a Compact tactical.

Both are very nice guns that I have never regreted purchasing at any time. If you can spare the extra $75-$100 I'd opt for the tactical version of the Rocks for the features you get upgraded on them. Both have been reliable and accurate. They come with a lifetime warranty and have a good reputation with their customer service. Seems that most people that purchase RI's are more than happy with them.

erob3

+1 positive on the RIA 1911. I would encourage you to take a look at the 1911 in 9mm, my Tactical has been great and is well worth the price. It shoots good right out of the box and gets better with use.

xdshooter

I already have a Springfield XD9 SC and Im not one to go for multiple guns of the same caliber but thank you for the insight!

sugar land dave

I bought a Rock Island 1911-A2 double-stack earlier this year. 14 round mags of 45 ACP which I use for my primary conceal carry. I wouldn't use it if I did not trust it. The longer you own the RIA, the more you begin to appreciate its value.

Yung.gunr

I was looking at the RIA when I was in the market for a new toy. Nice looking gun. Feels good in the hand too. But I held a Taurus 1911 right after and it felt even better in my hand. Personally I may go with the Taurus when I decide to get my budget 1911. But that RIA is a great deal and you never hear bad things about it.

zombieslayer

I really think they are a good deal. The GI models are pretty nice looking guns for the money. And are closer to an actual GI model than the Springfield I believe.