Lock N' Load Classic or RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme

• Lock N' Load Classic

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme

Votes: 12 85.7%

• Total voters

gonziii

Hello,

I would like to get into re-loading and was looking for opinions on the RCBS Rockchucker or the Hornday Lock N' Load Classic Single stage presses. Midway has the Hornday kit for $279.99 and the RCBS kit for $249.99.

Is one press better than the other? What other accessories would I need that are not included in the kits? Dies are one that I can notice right off the back.

I plan on reloading for my .223 at fist, and maybe some 357 and 45 ACP. I know a single stage press isn't the most effecient way to load for handgun ammo, but I hear it is better for loading accurate rifle ammo.

Thank you in advance for you opinions!

petemo

Rock Chucker

Well I have had one for years and it has served me well. It is a little slow for pistol ammo but it has advantages because of it's leverage.
Full length resizing is a breeze even on long cases as long as the press is anchored soundly. For a while I had a 25/35 Winchester. I could easily form 30/30 cases using the Rock. I load pistol ammo but more rifle ammo. I guess I would say buy a Rock if you plan to shoot more rifle.
Three die sets are not that expensive and I would spring for carbide sizing dies on the 357 and 45. Lube on the cases is not critical so it's quicker to
load them. You don't have all the cleaning and wiping the lube off.
Good luck
Petemo

whitebb

I say Rockchucker. I got mine several years ago from an estate. The old gentleman that had it had it for longer than I've been alive, and used it plenty. it works great, and looks great. Only broke the primer loader, but since I use a Lee Autoprime I don't care.
No experience with the lock-n-load. Everyone I speak to has a Rock Chucker, even those with a progressive. Every now and then they dust it off and use it.

drvector

Reloading extras

Gonziii,

I just got the RockChucker kit, but from what I’ve read on this site, the Hornady lock-n-load is good equipment too. From the Rock chucker perspective, the extras I got were

1. Lee Case trimmers for 30-06 and 38 – they only cost about $7. They can be mounted in a drill and are pre-measured to trim the case to the correct length. I understand that trimming rifle cases to length is more important than with pistol.

2. A set of Calbela’s brand calipers - $20 (not the digital version) I use this quite a bit in setting up dies and confirming over all bullet lengths.

3. Stand for the powder measure – $29 my loading bench is in a area that I walk through allot and I know that it only a matter of time before I crash into the bench mounted piece of the powder measure that comes with the kit.

4.Powder baffle for the powder measure – $7 made a significant difference in the uniformity of the powder dispensed with each pull of the lever when loading pistol rounds.

5.A vibratory case cleaner $70 – I understand it’s not the most important tool in the reloading process. But it is easier to inspect the cases when they are sparkling clean. I think the real reason I got this is cause I'm compulsive. Some claim that cleaned cases cycle better in a semi-automatic. I can’t confirm that since I have a revolver.

6.With the RCBS kit, you'll get a copy of the Speer reloading manual, but if you don’t already have it, a book like the ABCs of reloading is great

Good shooting!

gonziii

Thank you for all the replies. I think I will go with the Rock Chucker, you guys haven't let me down yet! I just need to try and sneak the purchase past my wife. Going to be tough though, she still doesn't know that I bought a Savage 12BVSS last weekend :)

gary2905

Bingo on Mr. Magoo.
I used a RockChucker for nearly 25 years and recently converted the RCBS to adapt to the Lock-N Load and I love it. Now I have the speed of a turret with the strenght and siplicity of the RockChucker.
Works like a charm.