Robert Waters (bestdefense357) Article in The Detroit News

TheBluesMan

Moderator Emeritus
This biased question was posed by The Detroit News:After a school shooting, do guns remain a problem? (This of course presupposes that guns are a problem at all.)

No: Guns often help ordinary citizens from winding up as crime statistics

By Robert A. Waters

Despite the shootings in a San Diego suburban school, legally obtained guns provide a vital first line of defense for many U.S. citizens. Here are a few recent cases from my files of more than 6,000 such incidents.

On Nov. 18, 2000, Colorado Springs resident Jean Zamarippa shot a serial rapist. At about midnight, Anthony Peralez ripped her back door from its hinges. As he entered the house, Zamarippa fired four shots, striking the intruder three times. DNA tests later revealed that Peralez had raped three other elderly women in the same neighborhood. Zamarippa, in a recent interview, insisted that she’s not a heroine. "I’m just a little grandmother," she said, "and I mind my own business. What would I have done if I hadn’t had my gun? I would have been just another statistic."

On Feb. 3, Cherese Belin returned to her Charleston, S.C., apartment to find jewelry and money missing. She called police, who searched the apartment but failed to find an intruder. After investigators left, Belin asked her neighbor, Shermaine D. Whitley, to search the house a second time.

Arming himself with a handgun, Whitley peered beneath the homeowner’s bed and found the burglar hiding there. He ordered the man to come out. Instead, the thief fired two shots at Whitley, striking him in the leg. The armed neighbor then returned fire, killing the burglar. Whitley was not charged.

Lisa Liev, owner of Johnny’s Cut Rate Liquor in Dallas, was working the afternoon shift on Feb. 9 of this year when a man entered the store, pulled a gun and demanded money. Liev dove to the floor and grabbed her own pistol from beneath the cash register. As the man jumped the counter, she shot and killed him. Still wearing a bandage on her head from a previous robbery attempt, Liev said, "I’m lucky to be alive. This is the second time they try and rob and hit me." Police ruled the shooting justifiable homicide.

On Dec. 11, 2000, in San Antonio, Tony Ayala, a world champion-class boxer, was shot by 18-year-old Nancy Gomez. At 3:45 a.m., Ayala, who had twice been convicted of rape and had served 16 years in prison, entered the woman’s home through an unlocked door. Gomez confronted the boxer and shot him when he attempted to take the gun from her. Ayala was charged with burglary with intent to commit assault. A police spokesman said Gomez was "right and justified in what she did."

On Feb. 14, 2001, three members of a Suffolk, N.Y., rock band fought back when when two armed invaders kicked in the front door of their home and attempted to rob them. Two of the band members grabbed shotguns. The first intruder had enough sense to flee when he saw the armed homeowners. Wesley Jones did not — he was killed by a shotgun blast as he held a gun to the head of the third resident. Investigators stated the shooting appeared to be justified.

About 2 a.m., Feb. 18, 2001, Jose Antonio Herrera and Rodrigo Castaneda burst through the door of an apartment near Three Points in Tucson, Ariz. The assailants used duct tape and "tie wraps" to bind the two female occupants. As the intruders looted the house, 18-year-old Amelia Gamboa broke free and retrieved a pistol from beneath her mattress. When Castaneda pointed a rifle at her, she shot and killed him. Herrera was arrested at the scene. Gamboa was not charged.

In Detroit, on April 27, 1999, a man and woman posing as magazine solicitors knocked on the door of Richard Harris’ northeast home. When he declined to open it, the two attempted to break down the door. Harris retrieved a shotgun and fired, striking David Epps. The homeowner wasn’t charged. A Detroit police investigator said, "This was just another scam criminals use to invade homes."

Unlike the San Diego school shootings, none of these cases made national headlines. But had they not owned guns, each of these victims may have been murdered. There are at least two sides to every issue, and in thousands of instances each year, guns save lives.

Robert A. Waters of Ocala, Fla. is author of "The Best Defense: True Stories of Intended Victims Who Defended Themselves with a Firearm," Cumberland House Publishing.

The opposing viewpoint, "Yes: Easy availability of firearms creates a scourge that needs to be eradicated" can be found here: http://detnews.com/EDITPAGE/0103/16/yes/yes.htm

This article doesn't even address the question, and I have no idea why the editors chose it as an opposing viewpoint. Read it for yourself and you will be as :confused: as I am.

Nice job, Robert. Good to see you in print again. :)

K80Geoff

YEAH!

Let us not forget folks, that Best Defense 357 needs our help. If you know of a defensive use of firearms in your area, pass it on to him. If you can provide a link, even better!

Geoff Ross

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
From the rebuttal...

...by Geneva Overholser.
But kids everywhere suffer slights, and bully each other, and do unwise things in response. They always have. They just haven’t — until recently — found it so easy to blow one another away.
A good chunk of that statement is a bald-faced lie.

I have spoken to many people who carred .410's and .22's to school for the purpose of squirrel hunting or stalking the ever-dangerous tin can on the way home and left the gun in their locker during the school day(well, many went to schools that didn't even have lockers; the idea of taking another kid's stuff being a foreign concept). It would be far easier for a shotgun- or semi-auto rifle-wielding kid to commit mayhem than one who has to furtively smuggle a little revolver in a lunch sack.

Were kids back then different somehow? They must have been, because kids back then had much easier access to weapons. They could mail-order them. They could walk to the hardware store and buy them (although I've heard of retail establishments that had set arbitrary age limits for purchase at 14 or 16 years old, apparently at that age they'd be less likely to lie about whether it was okay with their parents or not) I bought my first rifle at age 18, way back in the mists of early 1986, in the tiny hick town of Atlanta. Granted, this was after 1968, so I had to show my driver's license and sign a piece of paper saying I wasn't crazy. I purchased it at a little hole-in-the-wall country store called Cumberland Mall. After buying it, I walked to the little eatery called The Food Court and had lunch with a box marked "Ruger" propped against the side of my table. I even rested it on my lap and looked in the box once during my meal. No one gave it a second glance. Nowadays, at age 33, I have to fill out more paperwork than I would if I was going to marry the gun, submit to a background check that stops just short of a rectal probe, sign safety affidavits that warn me to avoid any activity that might be dangerous, such as actually shooting my new purchase, and get fingerprinted like a common criminal. Does this make you feel safer, Geneva? How about if I sew a little yellow gun-shaped patch on all my clothing, so that you could readily identify me?

So, Geneva, the core of your argument is a lie. Plain and simple. Guns are harder than ever to get in this country. Something is indeed wrong, but it has absolutely jack squat to do with the availability of guns. Pick another scapegoat, honey, 'cause you've flogged this one to death.

bestdefense357

Bluesman and Tamara, I also wondered about this lady's response. It has nothing to do with the quesion. But then, I didn't know the question either. The editor asked me to write up a few true self-defense stories and sandwich them between comments about the San Diego shooting. What he told Geneva, if anything, I don't know.

Robert

Jim V

Robert....

the two articles/columns in question are in the mail as of 5PM 3/17/2001.

Letters of rebuttal or general comments can be sent to the Detroit News at letters@detnews,com. May the forces of Tamara be with them. LOL

bookkie

Thanks Robert. Once again you prove yourself to be a true American. One I'm proud to call an internet friend.

RWK

Robert,

Very compelling article; thank you for taking the time to provide it to the media. Further, it is always great to learn that TFL members are truly distinguished experts.

I hope I never again have an experience that qualifies for your growing index. However, I still maintain life, health, automobile, homeowners and disability insurances and I still have a fire extinguisher and a first aid kit handy, so I will continue to carry firearms -- with the hope that a grave defensive situation never occurs, but with the assurance that I am prepared for one.

Regards -- Roy