Rmvbl Mag, or not?

Nannuk

I just want to know what you ppl think about removable magazines. The last decision I have to make regarding my next purchase is whether to get the removable magazine. This rifle will be a hunter (I can see the downside of losing a mag in the field). However, I will spend 90% o my shooting time at the range--looking for those sub MOA groupings (the removable mag looks like it will be easier to load).

Is this a six of one 1/2doz of the other type question?

Thanks fo the input and thanks for the "break-in" answers.

ronin308

I prefer standard fixed mags with the floorplate for hunting and such. I don't really see much of a loading advantage at the range with DBMs either. Also while you're at the range, make sure you just don't shoot off the bench, don't forget the lovely art of field shooting ;)

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
For a bolt action rifle at the benchrest, I prefer to load single rounds. In part, just general safety; in part, less battering of the tips of the bullets.

While I have some detachable-mag rifles, I've always sorta felt it's just something extra to clean and oil. On a hunting rifle, it's a case of "makes no difference", really...

Art

Chris McDermott

If you're the kind of hunter that drives along the road til you get to a "good spot", get out and hunt it, then go back to your vehicle (truck, 4-wheeler whatever) and drives to the next "good spot"; then a removeable magazine is great as it simplifies unloading/loading your rifle everytime you enter/exit your vehicle. Otherwise I don't think it really matters that much which type you have.
Stand hunting or walk hunting the ammo stays in your rifle all day, so I don't see an advantage either way.
Shooting at the bench you are generally going to shoot the ammo out, so unloading doesn't really matter, and I think it's just as easy to load a fixed magazine in the rifle as it is to remove the magazine, load it and put it back into the rifle.

dakotasin

i have one detach. mag rifle, and i really hate that 'feature'. i prefer hinged floorplates and blind mags, in that order.