Ring height for AR flat top

M700

Hey all,

A friend of mine just bought a DPMS panther bull 24" AR with the regular low height flattop receiver. He also got a Nikon Monarch 6.5-20 scope with a 44mm adjustable objective. What i need to know is, the height of the scope ring that he should be using. He wants to get the leupold QRW series rings to put on it...they come in low, med, high. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks Again.

Redlg155

He would need the high mounts to make sure he had enough clearance for the scope and to make sure the front sight did not give you any problems during low magnification.

Good Shooting
RED

M700

Redlg,

Thanks, the front site is not a problem though as he does not have one :) . Do you think he can get away with the medium rings? I will check out AR15.com again...thanks for the info.

all my ARs are flattops and the rings i like the best are the ARMS quick detachable with the inserts to make it go from 30MM to 1"...you can take them off in a couple of seconds and they go right back to zero....i also bought another recently i sort of like...it came from Rock River Arms...it's a one piece mount that is designed for flattops...it is built like a tank- i mounted a 36 power scope on it for load testing...the only problem with it is that you cannot move each ring individually...but for my purpose it works great....Dick

forgot to answer your question--get the high ones-allthough medium may be high enough for objective lense to clear barrel...

uglygun

There's an active AR15 flattop scope mounting discussion going on over there right now in fact. http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=28660#lastPost

I know I sound like a shill for the Armalite 1 piece mount but I really do think it's hard to beat. It fits about 75-80% of the scopes out there, it's a one piece so some scopes won't fit the set ring distance. I own two of them(one 1inch ring and one 30mm ring size) and both of them return to zero or return close enough to zero that I can't tell or shoot the difference. They also are very good at mounting the scope at the right height, my 50mm objective Leupold Long Range is mounted high enough that it will leave about 1/4 inch between the bottom of the objective and the top of a regular A2 type handguard, this should be enough room to mount up to nearly a 65mm objective and with freefloated barrels with the smaller aluminum handguards quite possible. The mount height is not so high though that it's uncomfortable, in fact Armalite claims they have done their best to make the mount so that it's centerline is at an equal height to that of the regular A1/A2 iron sight height.

It's very comfortable to me and not bad for the price where you can generally find the mount for around 85 bucks.

Big Bear

I'm going to assume (and we all know what that means) that he wants to use the Leupold QRW rings because he either wants to A) have the option of mounting the Nikon scope on another rifle, or B) have the option of removing the Nikon scope and replacing it with other optics, a red dot sight, or QR/flip-up type iron sights.

The sighting plane on AR15s is higher than on most other rifles, so high rings will work, but if he wants to be able to move the Nikon scope to use on other (non-AR15 type) rifles, the high rings might be too high.

If the Nikon scope is going to be dedicated to the AR15, go with high rings, but if the scope is going to be moved around, go with medium rings and a riser.

M700

Thanks for the help all. He's looking for rings that are not too expensive. Moving the scope to another non AR gun isnt really an issue. I bought a set of the leupold QRW's for my M700 Police and i told him he should look at those. They seem to be the right price, and we both liked the idea of being able to remove the scope. Of course....neither one of us are probably ever going to actually take it off......but its nice to know we can :) Ill send him all this other info and tell him to get the high rings if he wants the QRW's. Thanks again.

uglygun

I consider the Armalite mount to be a quick release mount, it has slots in the thumb nuts for a screw driver but I've never had to use one to tighten it onto the receiver. I just use thumb pressure to tighten down the nuts and I generally don't use that much pressure as it is, when I remove the mount I often have to use a tad more force than I used to install it and often I use a screwdriver or the back edge of my folding knife to break the nuts loose.

Armalite has also included a very nice recoil lug into the bottom of their mount, it precisely locates the mount within the picatinny cross-slots. If you've ever had a detachable carry handle shift backwards on you during recoil you know how those little bolts for the thumb nuts do very little to keep the device mounted well without sliding, the Armalite mount with it's recoil lug puts an end to that.

I've gone ahead and taken a picture of the underside of my Armalite 1 piece mount so people can know what I'm talking about, go here to get a look. quite a few pictures and many of them show off the mount pretty well, http://home.bak.rr.com/varmintcong/jpar.html