Ring Height for a 44mm scope?

Blue Duck

I have a Model 70 Bolt action with a 25-06 medium weight barrel, and I want to mount a Zeiss Contrast 3.5 x 10 scope with a 44 mm bell. I am planning on using the Leupold 2 pc Back Country scope rings. I haven't bought the scope rings yet, but I think medium height rings will work. Am I right or do I need to get high rings, which I would prefer not to?

kilotanker22

Medium will probably work. I have the medium Leupold mount and rings on my Bergara with a 40mm objective Leupold. Still plenty of clearance with the objective. My magnification ring just barely clears the rear mount though

Blue Duck

Medium will probably work. I have the medium Leupold mount and rings on my Bergara with a 40mm objective Leupold. Still plenty of clearance with the objective. My magnification ring just barely clears the rear mount though
Yep, I am right the edge, mediums will probably work, but probably not room for the lens cap. I guess I will play it safe and got to high mounts.

Thanks

NHSHOOTER

I personally would go with the medium, I just mounted a scope for a friend, his scope had a 40mm objective but I went with medium rings, a 44 mm would definitely fit on his rifle (weatherby vanguard) with medium rings, the only time I go with high rings is with a 50 mm objective..

bedlamite

Medium from one company is the same as tall from another and low from a third.

Midwayusa lists the actual height of the rings.

When you mount it, close your eyes and shoulder the rifle, then open your eyes and pay attention to how much your head moves. You want your head to not move when you open your eyes.

Last edited:

Blue Duck

I have a set of tall Leupold Backcountry rings on a model 700 in 300 mag with a 50 mm objective but they are 30mm rings. Anyway, I held up the 44mm objective to the 50mm and there really isn't that much difference. The tall rings on the 700 BDL fits me pretty good when I shoulder the rifle, so I went ahead and ordered tall rings for the Model 70. I think they will be fine.

And the lens caps are fairly thick on the 44mm scope objective, I feel fairly certain they would not fit with the medium rings, and I hate having to whittle on the lens cap to make them work.

BornFighting88

Would suggest you err on the side of caution and get High rings.

Also depends on the height of your eye line from the stock. If you have a cheek piece that raises your sight line, the higher your rings should/will be. If you have a standard sporter stock, sight line will be lower, hence the lower rings. Medium is really pushing limits with a bigger objective bell. Up to 40mm optics, mediums would cut it.

Extra 4mm = ~5/32” and that is a big difference when space counts.

When it comes to ring height and the space it provides for optics bells.. I live by my carry creed. Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. Not to force an opinion, but you’d do well to get Warne steel rings. I switched to them a few years ago, and they are all I buy now.