Ring around the collar 308win

308Loader

After sizing and tumbling to remove lube I was inspecting my cases and noticed a ring just above the shoulder. Is this an impending failure? I can’t feel any crease with my finger nail but as you can see from the photo the cases in the middle have a black ring that looks like the start of a crack. Not sure how many times I have reloaded these cases but it is upward of 5 or more. The one on the left is just dirty and the one on the right has no ring. Should I toss the ringed cases?

Ahhh Crap how do you load photos here.

I did rub one with some steel wool and the ring seems to go away.

PA-Joe

To check for impending failure use a paper clip with a sharp edge and run it on the inside of the case. Checking on the outside does not work.

Dave P

308's tend to separate about 1/4" above the base - nowhere near the shoulder.

Paper clip and/or flashlight will show the problem inside the case.

5 re-loads is a lot.

jepp2

Ahhh Crap how do you load photos here.

I use PhotoBucket and copy the link for IMG. You have to use a hosting service.

Unless you are loading really hot, if you are properly sizing your brass (a couple of thousandths of shoulder setback) 5 reloads is nothing.

If you are loading at max or above and using the die manufacturers directions of 1/4 to 1/2 turn after contacting the shell holder, you might be near the end of your brass life.

4runnerman

Dave P-5 reloads is not very many for a 308. With proper sizing you should get 10 plus on the easy side. I will usually get about 15 or 16 before I see any concern. At that point they are stll good to go, but I figre I have got my use out of them.

308Loader

20151004_161432_zpsgnkbnqrr.jpeg

black ring

Last edited by a moderator:

cw308

If it's coming off with the 0000 steel wool it not a weak spot , your probably loading mid range on powder listing , the neck isn't expanding enough letting fouling get by,no big deal. Don't over size your brass,to much headspace could cause that, also for a bolt action .001 is perfect. Stretch line is located a little above the head of the case not the shoulder. Cases still look good to go.

Longshot4

Since the shoulder acts as a seal to stop the gasses (carbon) from leaking back the carbon ring is nothing to worry about.

Although the long dimple is the thing that caught my eye. I suspect you created the dimple with too much lube when resizing. Then shot the round and fire formed with a permanent crease. I would just toss out the case and inspect the cases as you load them.

Do you camphor your cases with power tools?
They look inconsistent in cut.

849ACSO

Looks like a carbon fouling ring to me. Mine do it as well when I shoot loads that aren't quite hot enough to seal up.

Looks like the sizing die is maybe wiping carbon off the outside of the neck and down toward the shoulder. It could also land there during firing. A little seems to have got into a small crease where the neck meets the shoulder. That could be the result of tool marks in your chamber or just the gradual flow of the shoulder into the neck that occurs at each resizing having made a tiny crease there.

cw308

What rifle are they from, is the brass the same brand. I wipe the neck & shoulder with 0000 steel wool before I size.

308Loader

All Winchester brass Fired from my Rem 700p 26" with 1:12twist. I am shooting 2 different loads from them, IMR 4046, CCI BR2 primers, 168gr hornady match. One at 40.5gr and one at 43.5gr. Both loads shoot well.

cw308

My rifle started out as a Remington 700 LTR 308 cal. 20" brl. 1-12 twist, also using IMR 4064 40.5 to 41.5 it's a low to medium load both shoot tight groups using 168 gr. Sierra HPBT bullet. Primers are Fed. & CCl match with Federal brass I like it , its thicker then most cases , sizing .001 headspace full sizing. Remington's have more free bore I stayed with 2.800 .the chambers are on the minimum side. So if you place your bullet in a fired case the bullet wouldn't.just drop in you'll feel alittle resistance, that's a good thing for accuracy. Don't worry about the carbon. I trim every firing to 2.012 I wipe the neck, shoulder & head area with 0000 steel wool to spot any problems & for more accurate sizing. Hope I helped Chris Sorry just read your shooting A-Max 43.5 nice bullet tried them at 41.5 shot well didn't go any higher. The 700P very nice rifle I bed the HS precision stock, saw some rub marks on the aluminum, torqued the action bolts to 65" lbs. its rock solid. Shot out the Remington barrel after 4000+ rounds down the tube, trued the action,bolt face , lug & new M24 5R Rock Creek barrel cut to 21" just love shooting it .200 yards is the maximum range distances on LI NY. with your 26" HB 200 is nothing. Till the next time, Be Safe.

Last edited: