Rimmed cartridges for singles, doubles, & drillings

Glamdring

I am looking for listing of and information on rimmed catridges that have been used in singles, doubles, and drillings.

I know of the more common ones like 22 rf & hornet, 30-40, 303, 470 NE and many of the large bore NE. But I am trying to find more out about more of the small & medium bore cartridges. Isn't there a 7mm rimmed cartridge that is more or less a rimmed 280?

I am looking for caliber/name of cartridge, some idea of ballistics, and an idea of how difficult or expensive brass would be to get.

This is for a custom rifle project I am thinking about.

Steven Mace

It's a 7x65Rmm Brenneke!

Glamdring, the cartridge you're referring to is the 7x65Rmm Brenneke. It was created by Wilhelm Brenneke back in 1917 and basically duplicates .280 Remington ballistics. Cases can be fireformed from 9.3x74Rmm cases by running them into the form die and then full length size. You'll then want to trim & chamfer. The 7x65Rmm Brenneke lists a case length of 2.53" and an overall cartridge length of 3.21".

The following reloading data for the 7x65Rmm Brenneke appears on page 391 of the Cartridges Of The World - 9th Edition, by Frank C. Barnes and edited by M.L. McPherson:

1. 139gr. SP bullet, 54.5grs. of IMR 4350 produces 3000fps MV & 2810fpe ME - Source: Hornady.

2. 154gr. SP bullet, 52.5grs. of IMR 4350 produces 2900fps MV & 2877fpe ME - Source: Hornady.

3. 174gr. SP bullet, 50.5grs. of IMR 4350 produces 2700fps MV & 2833fpe ME - Source: Hornady.

NOTE: The reloading data listed above would typically be considered MAXIMUM and should be used with caution!!!

Hope this helps!

Steve Mace

BigG

Hi Glamdring,

Get yourself a copy of Cartridges of the World by Barnes. There is a sections on British and African cartridges which will answer most of your questions. Also the metric section has some rimmed versions of the familiar rimless cartridges.

In short, for nearly any rimless cartridges, i.e., 300 H&H/375 H&H there was a corresponding rimmed number for use in singles and doubles. The rimmed ones usually shot about 100 FPS slower than the rimless due to the strength difference between doubles and magazine rifles.

HTH

k77/22rp

Theres 8x57JR, and CTD sells it for 8.79 a box of 20. Its made by sellier & bellot.
Now that would be an interesting double rifle and ammo would not cost you an arm and a leg.

At one point in time most of the popular rimless cartridges were offered in rimmed versions for use in non-bolt-action rifles.

7mm, 8mm, 9mm, 9.3mm Mausers, all spring immediately to mind.

James K

Member In Memoriam
Believe it or not, the .30-30 was used in Europe in Drillings. They called it the 7.62x51R.

Jim

Jim Watson

Funny foreign ammo and special order brass is not something I would want to set myself up for on a new rifle. To get a nice old gun shooting is a horse of a different color.

You mentioned the .30-40. I recall reading that the .30 Purdey was essentially a Krag loaded hotter for strong action singles and doubles. If it is good enough for Purdey, it would be good enough for me.

"Believe it or not, the .30-30 was used in Europe in Drillings."

Not to mention the .22 Savage Hi Power, which was a popular European chambering as the 5.6x52R.

Ric

Or modern rimmed equivalents designed for lever actions like the .307 Win (rimmed .308) and .356 Win (rimmed .358 Win).

Glamdring

Thanks for the info eveyone.

BigG: Do you know how hard it is to get the rimmed brass for forming loading rimmed 300 H&H?

I have also been thinking about the new winchester short magnum cartridges. They are basically an improved rimless 348 case right? So one could make a 270, 7mm, or 300 WSM No.2 from 348 brass, right?