Rimfire target rifle

dakota.potts

I've mostly been looking at practical guns lately but yesterday I shot some clay pigeons at 50 yards with a S&W MP15-22 and realized just how fun it is.

I realized it would be great to have an accurate rile with no recoil that I can shoot at a low cost.

I'd like to spend less than $400. I'll take a look at just about any type of rifle. Semi automatic or bolt. I would consider pump or level but I plan to be doing all kinds of shooting including bench and would like as little movement between bench shots as possible.

It should also be fairly lightweight (for offhand shooting), have the ability to accept a scope and bipod, and have iron sights that will work well at 50 or maybe (once in a blue moon) 100 yards. I'll be looking to eventually learn to shoot within a 10 ring at 100 yards so if this rifle can do that that would be great. I'd expect it to be something capable of not much more than 1 MOA at 50 yards, although I definitely won't be for a while.

We have a Ruger 10/22 so I'm not sure I'm interested in getting one of those

Considering .22lr but also .17HMR or WSM

What do you guys think?

dakota.potts

That is definitely in the price range I am looking for. It can take a bipod, correct?

I really am a huge CZ fanboy and I'd love the 452 or 455 series but it looks like those are more expensive by a good margin.

JimmyR

Savage MkII owner

Dakota, I have a MkII I use for plinking. Mine does not have iron sights, but that's due to the fluted barrel that came with mine. I personally love mine, and I think mine was sub-$300 used with a nice laminate stock.

Happy shooting!

darkgael

Weight

It should also be fairly lightweight (for offhand shooting),
Just FYI..Don't worry overly much about weight....dedicated target rifles are fairly heavy. Weight helps stabilize a rifle when shooting offhand.
pete

Likely the best bang for the buck, on an across the board average would be one of the CZ .22LR rifles.

Almost any brand of rifles will have represented a rifle that shoots VERY good and may even do so with a number of different ammos. But just as likely that isn't the average. The CZ seems to have the reputation of shooting, across the board, waaaay better then a rifle of that price should be expected to shoot.

Check out the posts on Rimfire Central Forum.

The "street price" of the CZ, during normal times is very good considering.

Many Savages shoot well as do Marlins - sometimes, so first you must establish just what your willing to live with as per accuracy, and how much time and money do you wish to invest to find the ammo the rifle likes. It may be quick and simple and it may not.

Typically the better the rifle/barrel, the more and different ammos - off the shelf and match/target - it will shoot well and the less time and money you must spend to find it's favored brand/type.

Some years back, TC came out with their "Classic" semi-auto .22LR said in their ads to shoot 1/2" 50yd groups and having a match grade trigger.

Well I tried one and my rifle was not only a jam-o-matic, but didn't shoot as advertised and was far far, yes far from having a match grade trigger.

I ended up with a Clark Custom 77/22 which filled the bill as to my desires/needs/wants as per a very accurate .22LR.

It is heavy and wasn't cheap, but it did what I wanted and did so extremely well, and it shoots a broad range of ammo very well. I got what I paid for!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

PetahW

Combining "shooting offhand" & "can it take a bipod" in an inquiry about a single rifle seems to make it sound like an oxymoron.

allaroundhunter

Combining "shooting offhand" & "can it take a bipod" in an inquiry about a single rifle seems to make it sound like an oxymoron.

You don't always get to shoot from the same field position... My hunting and precision rifles have bipods, but they also get shot offhand.

Bart B.

Darkgael, heavy target rifles help stabilize it (moves around slower) in all positions, not just standing (offhand).

Rattlehead

If you're staying within 100, a good bolt 22LR will probably do just fine and ammo will be more economical. If you're looking to go past 100, I'd go for the 17 every time (and you can actually find ammo for it, usually ~$15 for a box of 50).

Have you considered modifying your current 10/22 to "target" standard? I'm not a huge fan of the "Mr. Potato Head 10/22", but if it may fit the bill in your case.

But there are some of us, that If I'm going to the .22 mag or the rimfire 17s, I'll go just a bit farther and a major step up in performance and buy a center fire.

Yes, I fully understand the convenience of just picking up a box of ammo and leaving the empties laying where they fall, but the .22LR is plenty good enough for me until I embrace what ever center fire I happen to choose.

At this point, it is the .243 with a 55gr Nosler Balistic tip.

Clearly not everyone makes that same choice as I or the various rimfire .17s and the .22mag would have died long ago.

Sure great that we have these choices to make!!! :) :D

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

allaroundhunter

Here is my .22:

e6ehu4u5.jpg

And here is how it shoots at 40 yards with match ammo that it likes - 10 shots, circle is 1":

nugu9esu.jpg

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
If you get the Savage MK 2 get at least one 5 round mag... The 10 rounder protrudes too far down for my liking when shooting from the bench and it is always digging into my back if I carry from a sling...

Brent

Slamfire

Get these CMP Kimbers before they are gone! If you can't shoot a dime sized group at 50 yards with one of these, it is not the rifle's fault.

Jim243

We have a Ruger 10/22 so I'm not sure I'm interested in getting one of those

LOL, silly person, you can make it into whatever you want it to be. And the rifle ones (not carbine length) are extremely accurate right out of the box. The triggers could be better, but that is a simple fix you can do yourself.

Jim

Or you could go 22 Mag and go to 200 yards.

pete2

The 10/22 is hard to beat. Pretty easy to get 1" groups at 50 yds even with the standard barrel. I have one with a red dot, one with Williams peep sight on it, and a heavy barrel with a 4 to 12 Simmons scope. All 3 are good rifles. You will have to do something about the trigger. I put a Volkq. hammer in the heavy bbl gun, did the other 2 myself. I also have a Remington 541T HB but it is finicky about ammo. I shoot the Rugers a lot more often.

fatwhiteboy

I would give you the same advice as I would if you were buying a scope. Save up the money and buy a very, very good one. Look at the Anschutz 64...