rimfire ring problems?

buymore

I have an older Marlin Model 25M .22 mag. Trying to scope it and it seems like rimfire rings always seem to sit either one side or the other....never top dead center. I'm afraid to put one screw right and one screw left....but it that the answer? I've tried a few different rings and I've experienced this on several bolt action rifles. If I leave it slightly left of top dead center...wondering if I should can't the crosshairs to eliminate parallex?

I thought about filing on the inside of the fixed part of the ring to maek it slide over slightly, but then I may end up ruining the rings.....not expensive but anyone have any solutions?

Bailey Boat

Buy a set of Millet steel rings. The base of the ring has an adjustment screw on each side and can be tweaked to your heart's desire. It will also allow for some windage adjustment without using all of the adjustment in the scopes adjustment range. I would also advise (to preserve the scope) that the rings be lapped parallel to the bore to prevent "minor ring marks"......

blindhog

Another solution is to purchase Burris signature z rings. These rings have offset inserts that will allow both elevation and windage adjustments. They also eliminate the need for lapping.

Sport45

If I leave it slightly left of top dead center...wondering if I should can't the crosshairs to eliminate parallex?

No, leave them straight up.

If your scope is 1/8" left of the bore adjust it so the bullet impact is 1/8" right of the crosshair. Then it will be the same 1/8" right for all distances.

solocam72

I just recently bought a savage 93 stainless bull barrel thumbhole stock, I put a redfield scope on it and used leupold PRW rings, I really like the rings, very heavy built and rock solid! My scope sits top dead center

buymore

After looking a little closer with my extra eyes on I think I found the problem. The rings are defective......I may have had the same problem prior to this because it may have been this same set of rings! I had an extra pair of silver rings that I threw on and they center up fine....just not high enough to clear the bolt! It appears as though that little piece on the nut side of the rings is sort of flattened and it makes the rings set crooked when tightened. I took that piece off the silver rings and these rings center up fine....same story....not enough bolt clearance. I ordered some new rings and got them a little higher. Should fix everything. Got a different type too. Thanks for all the ideas though.