Rimfire question for dealers only

Selfdfenz

With ammo price increases over the last year or so I've seen many recommend replacing some of the certerfire inventory that has been historically popular at the range with a new or rediscovered rimfire. I know I've made that recommendation to several of my shooting friends in the last year or so.

For those of you that actually work at gunshops or sell firearms through another venue have you noticed renewed interest in rimfire firearms, especially rifles, as demonstarted by increased sales?

Are you selling more rimfire ammo than before we hit the ammo price hikes over the past year or so?

THX in advance for you responses.

S-

Lavid2002

Just out of curiosity....why would they replace centerfire with rimfire. Although the most common rimfire, the .22LR is very cheap and affordable it lacks the power of larger centerfire cartridges as we all know. Now as we get larger cartridges and increasing pressures a thciker case wall is needed. Thus more brass and that means more powder, primer, and a heavier bullet. With this now larger casing, why make it a rimfire? Rimfires have to be discarded after shooting while centerfires can be reloaded. With all that valuable brass why not reload it?

My question is....why would we switch to a different priming system? Rimfire priming system isn't that much cheaper than centerfire. At least not enough to justify a switch.

Darren007

My question is....why would we switch to a different priming system? Rimfire priming system isn't that much cheaper than centerfire. At least not enough to justify a switch.

Hes not asking or saying to make centerfire cartridges into rimfire. Hes asking if they are stocking more rimfire ammo as opposed to centerfire, because of the cost of ammo having risen.

ilbob

I can tell you my local WalMart has less CF ammo in stock than it has in the past. I think the amount of RF might be down some as well. Plenty of shot shells.

I have not noticed any difference at the gun store. Plenty of everything. In fact, last time I was there he had all kinds of stuff I have never even seen before. Prices are higher, but plenty of ammo of all varieties.

News Shooter

We are not stocking any additional rim fire and the demand seems to be about what it always has been with target shooters. No one has come in and said they are going to switch to rim fire because it is cheaper. They mostly just whine about the cost of center fire and accuse us of gouging.

What we are seeing an increase in is reloading.

Selfdfenz

Interesting.

At my W-M, which is a new Super, the cases are full of ammo but it's hunting season. I wish I had data to support this but compared to prices throughout the summer some of their CF ammo prices seem to a little lower recently. At least on the 100 round boxes of Winchester white box.

I have one only one local shop that sells components. Untill recently I would describe their inventory and fragmented and collecting dust. Last weekend I was shocked to find they had revamped that section and their selection was much expanded. Not cheap but much more diverse. The CF guys will find a way. Interesting to me at the time was this same store seemed to have many more rimfire rifles than normal and a few more types on rimfire ammo. That could be hunting season-related too. I wouldn't say their CF rifle collection was much different but they seemed to have more used CFs out for viewing than ususal.

Long before the recent ammo price hike I found myself rediscovering rimfire shooting. I found I was shooting less and less CF and I've been reloading more. Haven't bought any new CF lately but I have picked up a couple of new 22s. Just wondering if my expereince was being mirrored by others and noticable on the other side of the gun shop sale counter.

THX for the replies so far.

S-