rimfire crowd

sewerman

joined the rimers today.

special ordered from wally world a cz 452 varmint .22cal L.R.
didn't know until recently that w.w. offered a special order service!
now i need to find a good entry level target scope?

like to hear from any cz owners.
cheers:)

rem33

Wally's web sight shows what can be ordered, with prices.
Hope your as happy with you 452 as I have been.

wolverine350

i just bought a Savage MKII bolt action from wally world, but hadnt fired it yet, i also have a 597 Remington that is a very accurate gun for an automatic, bought it at wally world also, and i have a new Ruger MKIII 22/45 that is an awesome shooter as well. I hear the CZ's are an awesome gun they had one up here for a while and it was very nice looking and well made gun, someone is happy with it cause it didnt last long on the shelf:D

jfrey123

I can't find it on their website right now, but my local Wal-Mart's sell a little Simmons 3x9 50mm Blazer model for around $40... It's a Simmons and I can't imagine a .22lr is going to beat up even some of the cheapest scopes out there...

Now, I had to mount it with some look through scope rings to keep the ocular from resting on the barrel... But this was the easiest scope I've ever mounted and set for eye relief. And it claimed it's first jack rabbit last Sunday... And having a 50mm ocular on this puppy makes it look mean!

270Win

Why NOT buy from WalMart?

They have the best prices. Guns are the same as everywhere else. If you know your stuff, the ignorant salespeople don't matter. And the local shops don't always deserve your hard-earned dollar.

Selfdfenz

Congrats sewerman

I think you will be very well pleased with your CZ. Now you have the fun of buying several types of ammo and running experiments to see what works best.

Mine seems to like most all of the subsonic stuff [but the Remington is dirty], Wolf MT, Sk, Dynapoints [if you can find em] and for something a little on the quiet side CCI CB longs.

I think Wolf MT/Sk is my pick for consistantly small groups.

Best
S-

870 wingmaster

scope for 22lr

Well it really depends on what you really want from your rifle ''CZ is a nice 22 by the way''. My friend has the CZ varmint and he has a bushnell banner 6-18x50 AO which he got from walmart in the glass case and it is a good target scope for around $150 but is rather large for my taste. I have the CZ american an I have a weaver 3-9x32 AO on mine but I walk with my rifle squirrel hunting and target shoot with it at times and seems to fit my needs well because its small and lightweigt. So if you are all target I would go with a higher power scope. The 4-12x40 AO scopes are a good happy medium also. Do spend the money for a good scope, You will be happy you did.:)

cheygriz

The little Leupold compact M8-4X is,IMHO, the ideal scope for a .22.

Other than formal competitive target shooters, I can't imagine any circumstance where you would ever need more than 4X for any rimfire. And, this little scope is quite small, but it's still got the Leupold quality.

The Gamemaster

Buy yourself the best 40 mm scope that you can afford.

There is no reason to buy at Wal Mart when you can get any gun you want from a good gun dealer.

The scope / mounts you put on your rifle will determine how accurate it will be.

At the low end, I would recommend a TASCO 3 x 9 x 40.. I have a Silver Antler on one of my Marlin 22 mags and it shoots just fine.

On the other end, if you could afford it. I would recommend a Bushnell 3x 9 x 40 or 5 x 15 x 40 Elite 3200 with rain guard.. Prices start at $199

Here is a good address for the largest privately owned gun store on the East Coast of the USA, which is also the Factory Outlet for Remington, Savage and Browning.

http://www.gricewholesale.com/ Contact them for a sales flyer - since their online store does not seem to be updated.

Jseime

I have a 3-9X32 on my .22 and I wouldnt go with any other scope a 40 or 50 mm lens is too big for a rimfire.

The Gamemaster

The size of the Objective lense dictates how much light is allowed to enter a scope. The more light, the better you can see what you are shooting at.

In low light conditions, the bigger the Objective - the longer you can shoot, the brighter the target becomes. The more coatings a scope has, the better it will be.. A cheap single coating 32 mm scope is not going to be as good as a multi coated 40 mm scope. Most scope manufacturers do not spend as much time or effort on the 32 mm scopes as they do with the 40 mm scopes.

Them cheap little .22 scopes they sell in Wal Mart for $9.99 is just what you get. A cheap little scope that is so dark u can barely see out of them.

There is nothing wrong with a 32 mm scope.. Just that it isn't as bright as a 40 mm and the range of view gets much smaller than a 40 mm scope because it does not allow as much picture inside of the scope.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/riflescope-glossary.html

Leupold is a good scope - but their 32 mm Vari X 1 scopes are no better than a Simmons or a Bushnell. Avoid any scope that does not have clicks on their adjustments for windage and elevation..

I've had good luck with Tasco as well. They seem to make decent, affordable stuff. I recently inherited a BSA scope and find it to be a piece of junk. It is an older unit (but was still in box) built in the 90's so YMMV.
A cheapo scope can make an otherwise accurate rifle almost useless, so get the best you can afford.

As a Cz owner I could not make a better reccomendation then a Mueller APV-the best scope I have EVER seen for the money~$105. BTW you are going to have to at least dish out $50+, so be prepared. A scope for less will likely frustrate you, I know, I went through the same learning process.
-Ve

hoytinak

I put a cheapo Tasco 3-9 on my custom 10/22 as a temp. scope till I found a nice one. But after 5 or so years of ZERO problems, including holding it's zero since the first time I sighted it in. Plus it'll just about drive a nail at 150 yards, I've decided to stick with it. As it is the rifle can out shoot me.

rcupka

I have a Burris 3X9X40 Fullfield II on my Izmash Biathalon Basic that I love, but the groups are the same size as the Tasco 3X9X32 that I replaced. It is a brighter, crisper, greater contrast sight picture, which is better for my old eyes, but the performance is the same. I now have the Tasco on a Winchester 9422M and it is performing well there also.

hksigwalther

I can't believe you guys are buying guns from wally world.

Personally, I've been pretty satisfied with purchasing from my regular gun shops and can get etremely good prices from one. I also have no problem at all with shopping at Wal*Mart as I like their convenience and prices. With all this talk about buying guns at WM, I think I'll go try it out myself. I can always use another CZ 452/453 (it'll be my eighth one).

atblis

Scopes

What do you mean by target shooting? For plinking soda cans and such, a 4x or so would be fine. For shooting paper, you want something else.

People will try and tell you that all you need is a 4x, or 3-9x40. If you plan on punching paper, 16x and up with a fine crosshair work wonders for shrinking groups (yes even at 25 yards).

Because you bought the varmint model, I am guessing you want to shoot for some groups.

Entry level target scopes.
Either Natchezss.com or Midwayusa.com has a Weaver T24 on sale for $300 bucks. That's a good target scope.
I have a Weaver V16 with fine crosshair that works great for target shooting as well as on squirrels. ~$280
The Bushnell Elite 3200 or 4200 would be a good choice (sister scopes to the Weavers)
Nikons are another good choice
Others that I've heard good about, but never owned
Burris
Sightron

Get something that is parallax adjustable either via an adjustable objective or side focus
Get a fine crosshair or target dot
You want at least 14,16 or so as a minimum for your top magnification
40,42 mm works great fine for a 22lr (not too big). 50mm or bigger is too large.

To do this right, you'll spend at least a couple hundred bucks.

jfrey123

Bah Humbug! My 50mm works great!

Just curious, not intending to thread jack, why are many saying that 50mm is too much for a rimfire? I would imagine that the size of your ocular is really only affecting the amount of light entering. I haven't had a need so far to jack it up to anything over the 3x on the 3x-9x adjustments...