Rimfire choices???

jawper

Greetings all,

As crazy as it may sound, I've never owned a .22 handgun. Everything I own is in 9mm and that's usually cheap enough to play with. Yesterday, however, I was shooting with a bud and he rented the range's Browning Buck Mark (I think it was a Nickel Target) with a holo sight mounted. We got about a million rounds for a pittance and proceeded to have a blast. What great fun! Very comfortable and quality feeling pistol.

So now I'm thinking about adding a .22 autoloader to the collection. Problem is that I know nothing about how the various brands stack up when it comes to rimfire. I know that one vendor is pushing NIB Buck Marks (Camper model) for $189. Thus I'm assuming I'd have to go seriously into the high end to spend anything like centerfire costs. I'd value some input from more experienced hands around here.

What I'm looking for is a quality .22 autoloader for casual plinking. Might want to mount something on it at sometime in the future but I'm primarily interested in iron sight shooting. Would be interested in hearing comparison of the major manufacturers (Browning, Ruger, *&*, Sig, etc.) in terms of quality, customer service, durability, ease of disassembly/maintenance, etc.

Thanks in advance!

------------------
Best,
- Jawper

branrot

Ruger is the classic .22 auto. Other contenders are the S&W 22A (or 22S in stainless), the Browning Buckmark (in one of several variations), the Colt .22 (which I don't think is made anymore), and the Sig Trailside (which is fairly new).

I went with the S&W 22S with a ProPoint 3, and have been very happy. I've also shot all the other ones (with the exception of the sig), and they impressed me equally. Any .22 from any of these manufacturers should serve you equally well. The thing to look for is features which make you happy (I liked the safety, slide and mag releases, and sighting setup of the Smith).

AndABeer

I have a Ruger Bull now and it is an ok .22. I fired a SIG Trailside at a recent outdoor show and was impressed. I handled someones Beretta 87 Target at a local range and was really really impressed. I'll be buying the Beretta when I finish getting the other firearms that are higher on the list. Are the SIG or the Beretta worth twice the price of the Ruger? I think so, but that is because they feel so much more natural in my hand than the Ruger does.

ohen cepel

I would strongly recommend the Ruger Mark II.

I just don't think you can beat it for the cost. Also, there are tons of readily available accesories since it is so popular and has been around so long. With the others I think accesories will be harder to find.

.22's are great and I don't think you can go wrong with any of them mentioned. But I like the Ruger the best.

Good Luck

------------------
He who dares wins.
NRA Life Memeber

Kevinw

I has a S&W 22A Loved it. Great weapon. I sold it the day after they turned traitor. If you can find a used one and don't mind it being a S&W I would have to (painfully) recomend this gun.

David Scott

The Browning Buck Mark is a good .22, as is the Ruger. SIG bought out Hammerli, their Trailslide is very good.

There is also a company, named Ciener, I think, that makes .22 conversions for 1911s, Beretta M92s and such. These allow you to teach/practice basic marksmanship and manual of arms while blowing off 500 rounds of .22LR for about $20.

P

PreserveFreedom

I have to vote for the Ruger MKII myself. You can spend as little or as much as you would like depending on your options. Mine is a 1976 commemorative and it was my first automatic pistol. I wouldn't trade it for anything out there.

gRAVEdgN

I have a Ruger Mark II Stainless 6 inch Bull barrel with adjustable sights. Have had no problems. Natural grip angle which makes it easy to point onto target quickly. Trigger action is great out of the box.
It goes to the range EVERY time we go.

Ledbetter

I got the Ruger MkII Govt. Model in stainless with a slabside barrel. Nice gun, comes with scope mount and rings, but it's a little heavy.

I put the Hogue rubber wraparound grips on mine. Got a 2X Tasco scope for around $70.

Ruger also makes the MkII 22/45, which has the same grip angle as a 1911. Check out other threads for this same discussion.

Regards,

Ledbetter

Jody Hudson

Smith and Wesson Model 41 (used only of course) or the new Sig Trailside. MOST of the fun of .22 shooting is the incredible accuracy and these are perhaps the two most accurate of all...

------------------
Talk is cheap; Free Speech is NOT.

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
Another vote for the Ruger MK-II KMK-512! :D
It's the 5.5 inch barrel stainless job; and she's a tack driver. :) Got mine NIB for the sum of $289.88 + sales tax.

Regards,
Ala Dan, Life Member, N.R.A.

radom

Just have to be a pain in the b*^t here. I prefer the old Hi-Standard targets or Colts compared to any of the newer guns. The S&W is a very good auto too. Just may as well have the best in my book. HD or HE target, the best money could buy in 1939 and still very good now. :) :)

CCV

My personal favorite is my Colt Match Target but it was discontinued many, many years ago. If I was in the "quality" .22LR handgun market today I would look long and hard at the SIG Trailside.

JNewell

I'd vote for the following as the sweetest .22s ever, all to be purchased used but all still factory-supported (in no particular order):

- *&* 41, 5 1/2"*
- Colt Diamondback, blued 6"
- *&* K-17 .22 Masterpiece, blued 6"

Pricey, but they don't come any sweeter than these in any caliber or price or size or ...

* I like the balance of this barrel better, and the sights; but there were/are 5" field barrels and 7.?" target barrels, too, plus the extendible-sight barrel, all interchangeable.

Cypselus

The K22 is amazing. The Model 41 isn't bad either. The Ruger mk II is ok, in that it's cheap, and has lots of accessories available, but I can't muster up the same affection for it that I can for my good old M17.

suckersrus

I was torn between a new 22 pistol or a 22 conversion for my Glock33. Since the slide over-extends on the G33 (and some reported problems) I finally decided to go with the .22 pistol.

Last weekend I found a MarkII Bull Ruger on sale and grabbed it. I've owned 2 or 3 of the Rugers over the years but this one is the best. Squirrel hunting Accuracy!

I'm happy with my choice.

[This message has been edited by suckersrus (edited June 24, 2000).]

jawper

All,

Many thanks for all the great advice. I'm filing this text for future reference.

After looking around a bit and thinking it over, a guy I know pointed out something which should have been obvious. My range membership allows me free use of the rental guns and their selection includes three .22 autoloaders (Ruger and two Brownings). Seems to make more financial sense to shoot theirs for the time being (although I bet the @$250 I "save" gets put towards something else pretty quick!). I'm gonna hold off but the .22 stays firmly on "the list" (we all have a list don't we!?).

Thanks again for all the great feedback!

------------------
Best,
- Jawper