Rimfire and Henry Repeating Arms

Mastrogiacomo

I'm interested in two lever action rimfire rifles: Golden Boy 20" (16 rounds) and the 19.25 (11+1 round). Which is the better of the two. Certainly the price is better on the 11 round gun but does anyone have either model?

Jim Watson

The only 11 round Henry I see on their website is a .22 magnum. I have no use or application for a .22 magnum and don't know why you would. The best buy is the standard model .22 long rifle. The Golden Boy is a purely cosmetic dressup and gives no improvement in the shooting for the money, except a smidgen extra weight and sight radius.

Mastrogiacomo

You might be right. Unfortunately, I don't see too many shot barrel .22 in the Winchester line and I looks like a lot of their guns, including rimfire are being discontinued. I'm 5"2 115 lbs so I'm not sure how the 39A Marlin would feel.

Jim Watson

I don't see the problem. Henry makes several model variants besides the Golden Boy and magnum. Their basic .22 long rifle ought to suit you well for less money than the Golden Boy and a more useful caliber than .22 magnum.
http://www.henryrepeating.com/leveraction.cfm
Or is this one of those Kennedy Country things where you cannot get the guns Americans can?

Winchester is dropping the 9422 after a run of farewell dressup rifles.
The Marlin 39A is a heavier gun, especially in the 24" barrel version and they are not making the shorter Mountie carbine now.

The Browning BL-22 is a little jewel in the same price range as the Golden Boy for the base model.
http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?value=005B&cat_id=024&type_id=100

stardate

I have both the 22 Golden Boy and the basic (H001) 22LR from Henry. I have only shot the H001, I like the shorter length over the Marlin 22LR. Henry also makes a H001Y which is a youth model, even shorter yet.

Raymond Losli

I have shot the Browning and the Henry... Lever action / side by side.
If you can swing the Browning get it...it cost more though I think
The lever action only take about 40 deg. of movement to cycle a round.
The Trigger moves independently with the lever and the Trigger felt nicer & lighter pull to.

Jim Watson

You didn't ask but I will say anyhow, a lever action is not the best choice. A good bolt action .22 like a CZ452 will be more accurate and durable.

44-40

I have not fired these guns but have handled them, the golden boy is supposed to be a spin off of the old 66 winchester, or 73 winchester in its steel form.There is so much drop in the stock you can't cheeck the gun when lining up the sights so your head is unsupported, also the gun weighs twice as much and costs more,I wouldn't have one.The standard model 22 appears ok.The winchesters and brownings are great,I had a brand new marlin years ago that was so stiff that your fingers were bruised after cycling at 25 times

DPris

Member Emeritus
The Golden Boy is similar in looks only to the earlier Winchesters & has nothing in common internally.
I've shot both Golden Boys (.22LR & .22Mag) and their standard .22LR. The Golden Boys are both nice looking and pretty accurate. They have decent sights, I never found the drop in stock to be a problem, and they don't have plastic sights & barrel bands like the standard rifles.
Denis

Mastrogiacomo

I'd probably get a bolt action at some point but the lever is just fun, which is the primary reason I want it. I'm leaning toward the Browning at this point and might look further into that rifle.

SouthpawShootr

I've like the looks of the Henry Golden Boy for quite a while. Did a little research in them and have decided to let these pass. What I assumed was a brass receiver was a brass finish over an aluminum receiver. Now I'm not anal over the steel vs. aluminum strength issue, especially when it comes to .22 rifles, but I question how durable the finish is. And how easily/difficult it would be to get it restored once the finish becomes worn to the point of being ratty. Recently, I've seen some Winchester Trappers in .22 with 16 inch barrels and color-case hardened receivers (I love those colors). Might go for one of those or a plain vanilla Marlin 39A.

gn luver

I purchased a golden boy in .22 lr as soon as they came on the market.My primary reason was the appearance,i always wanted a .22 that resembled the old Winchester 66 and the Uberti was to pricy for me. For a shooter i prefer some of the others mentioned,i have a Marlin Golden 39 Mountie that's the best .22 shooter i own accurate,well made ect. Good Luck Max W.(gn luver)

Nortonics

I picked up a brand new Goldenboy .22LR off Gunbroker from a local to me seller for a killer price - seems he needed cash and was selling a lot of his collection.

henry_goldenboy.jpg

I don't think you can have more fun with a brick of .22 LR's than with this gun. Well maybe the Henry pump action .22 might come close... ;)

henry_pump_action.jpg

Death from Afar

I have used a 39A for years, and shot maybe 10,000 rabbits with mine. Mine is a much older rifle, built in the 1960s and as smooth as the day it was made. I use a semi auto .22 magnum in my truck for pest control, but for hunting, and lets face it, most rounds are blasted off at cans, bits of wood and so on, you cant beat a lever action.

Always be extremly careful of a tube mag .22 as there is a slight risk of a round getting caught in the tube, and lathough you think it is unloaded it is not.

I have never shot a Henry, but handled one. They seem, to be quite honest, a bit light and cheap. Painted, not blued , plastic in some fittings. I dont like them, and they dont handle as well as the Marlin. I would look seriously at the Marlin.