Rim Rock 45 lead bullets

Wendyj

I picked up 400 of these from mid south shooting supply for my 45 colt rifle. Not much information of hardness. No loading information so I just started using 8.5 grains of unique. No issues with rifle or brass. Too wet to chronograph. I used 11 grains behind some bullets a friend cast for me in 275 grain. No issues but I knew his bullets and his had gas checks. These 250 grain don't. Is the gas check necessary to run a little hotter. O

Wag

I've never used gas checks but my understanding is that if you use lead bullets, gas checks can help prevent leading in your barrel, particularly if the lead hardness is somewhat low.

At some higher velocities (over 1,000fps?), I've come to believe that gas checks are pretty much required to prevent leading in the barrel. Someone will have to correct me on that.

When you can chrono, let us know that velocity you get with the 11 gr charge. That seems a little hot to me.

--Wag--

Wendyj

I used 11 grains with the Hornady xtp and got around 1100 fps out of the rifle. Variation around 20fps. These are a different animal though since they are definitely not as hard as the plated xtp. The 275 lead ran around 990-1000 fps that my friend molded for me. Wish I had waited and ordered the Oregon trail laser cast.

USSR

I've never used gas checks but my understanding is that if you use lead bullets, gas checks can help prevent leading in your barrel, particularly if the lead hardness is somewhat low.

More leading is caused by improperly sized hard lead bullets than soft lead bullets.

Don

mikld

More leading is caused by improperly sized hard lead bullets than soft lead bullets.

Don
^This. I didn't know for sure what my alloy's BHN was for the first 18 years of casting, I didn't have a hardness tester. I did know however, what the diameter of my bullets were, the chamber throat diameters, and groove diameters of all the guns I used lead bullets in...

Wendyj

I replaced the batteries in the chronograph not realizing they were all but dead. Not a thorough way to test but I got 1209 fps average off my back deck with 9.5 grains of Unique under the 250 grain rim rock. I'll test more at the range this weekend but if that's a true reading I can live with it. Finally got with Rimrock today and they say BHN is 15. I'm not sure I believe that but it's what they say for the cowboy bullet.

USSR

Finally got with Rimrock today and they say BHN is 15. I'm not sure I believe that but it's what they say for the cowboy bullet.

Believe it. The commercial casters have this love affair with super hard bullets. But, hey, antimony is cheaper than tin, and their hard bullets hold up well in shipping.

Don

Wendyj

hey std7mag. It was raining a little which it's been raining a lot. I set it at an angle on the steps and fired a few rounds just because I had to see what they would do. LOL. Sometimes I have to improvise. At least now I know it works. We are rural so that helps. Neighbors may get a little upset but I try to be respectful and only a few at a time. I want to start casting my own but not sure of even what to buy.

std7mag

Yeahhhhh.... I could hear my wife now if i took a few shots off the back deck...

I had thought about casting too. But decided against it. Would only do it outside and when it's nice enough for that i'm in the woods, at the range, or doing outside house work.

Wendyj

I'm not so sure I could save any money since 400-500 are anywhere from $50-$85.00. Take me a while to shoot that many. If it doesn't quit raining here 4 out 7 days a week it's going to be back deck shooting all the time. I you tubed some casting videos and the equipment is pricey for all you need.

std7mag

The cost of the equipment isn't that expensive in the grand scheme of things.

More of a time and safety matter. Plus having to have a good source for lead and other raw materials.