RIIIING! The clue phone for S&W.

Sir William

OK. Ruger no longer makes the SP-101 in 22 lr. Taurus makes the Tracker 22 which is the only decent quality 22 lr revolver currently available in the mid-priced field. Commanche is the low price 22 lr revolver. Why does S&W not answer the clue phone? The revolver that would sell as fast as production would allow is a S&W J frame size, 4", adjustable sight, 22 lr. The M60 in 5" is OK. Where are the old school, high quality, DA/SA, 6 shot 22 lr revolvers from S&W? I would buy one. What reasons could S&W have for ignoring this obvious market? Opinions?

Majic

What reasons could S&W have for ignoring this obvious market?
Because there just isn't much of a market. Did you wonder why Ruger backed out? S&W learned years ago as they also had small framed .22s. The M617 is a good seller, so why tool up for a revolver that these days don't sell very well?

tulsamal

I clicked on that link to S&W and started laughing. Well over $600 suggested retail for a field quality .22 revolver?!?

I agree that the potential market is rather small. Too many people buy a Ruger Auto or a Browning Buckmark. .22 autos are just an excellent deal. Good prices, easy to shoot, fun to plink with, etc. I own a S&W M63 and it is a great gun but it wouldn't be if I had to pay over $500 for one!

Gregg

Leif

I too mourn the passing of the Ruger SP-101 in .22lr with a 4" barrel. :(

Market share be da#ned, not everybody wants a single action revolver or a semiautomatic. The SP-101 was perfect as a practice gun for the GP-100.

There seems to be a niche here that somebody could fill ... same as the niche for a semiautomatic, detachable magazine rifle in .223Rem that isn't tacticool and isn't a Mini-14, or a moderately priced American made SxS shotgun. Da#n me and my unreasonableness ... :)

azredhawk44

Taurus model 94, anybody?

I have one with a 5" barrel. SA/DA revolver with 9 shot cylinder. They also make a 4" and a 6" I believe.

I don't remember the price exactly, but I think I paid about $250 for it...

Russ5924

What it comes down to is it takes just as much work and machining to make a revolver in .22 as a .44 or .45.If you can buy a .44 or .45 for 600 or 700 hundred would you pay the same for a .22.I know I wouldn't.So now if they don't sell or you lose money why make them:confused:

azredhawk44

Yeah, but they are like that first discounted line of cocaine that really justifies diving right in to your new addiction:D

Just make the first one cheap, and they'll be hooked on that buzz.

Oops, I'd better not give the Brady Bunch any ideas for more lawsuits. Jeez.:barf:

tuckerdog1

Taurus 94

Mine's a 2". Cost new about a year ago was around $275.
Good little shooter. Trigger kinda stiff. Probably have 1500 rounds through it. Only problem is the rear sight windage adjusting screw came loose & fell out. My fault for not paying attention. Taurus won't just send a screw to replace it. But they did say if I sent the whole sight in, they'd replace that. No charge. Just been too lazy to pack it up & send it off.

Tuckerdog1

azredhawk44

I had the same problem with my rear sight. Only the sight blade came out, not the whole screw. It fell out in my closet.

I tightened it back down and it was right back on the paper again.

Hasn't come loose since. I think they just come from the factory loose.