Right Ammo To Test:Lithgow&CZ455 Walther:EleyTenex

Mr.RevolverGuy

LithgowLa101&CZ455Walther Barrel: Eley Tenex Test - Down The Rabbit Hole

Well I am officially down the rabbit hole.

This is the first episode of many to come with both of these rifles in 22LR.

Welcome to the Eley Tenex Edition!

What ammo next?

https://youtu.be/UrYOZ_PXfVU

Mr.RevolverGuy

Yes Bart agree consistency is accuracy. I want to try and get the best consistency out of the ammo while also me practicing to be more consistent and then that is a recipe for accuracy. Start using that ammo and my ability to maybe shoot at the green monster for accuracy :)

Mr.RevolverGuy

Bart,

I have seen that thread thank you. In my humble opinion my test is about a rifles ability to test precision. Precision and accuracy to me are two different things. In simple terms more for myself precision is an ability to be consistent to achieve repeatability and reproduce the exact same outcome on target. If I can achieve precision with a certain rifle and ammo then I can move those groups where I want them to achieve accuracy.

I am not sure if your comments are meant to be snarky or truly trying to help. But it is my intent to find precision in hopes that I can become more accurate, have fun along the way and if it helps someone else great icing on the cake.

Thank you

stagpanther

Not to change the subject--and revolver guy I really enjoy your videos--I'm not a rimfire guy but I do have a marlin 917 in 17 hmr which I'm really starting to get into. Is there a reason why you prefer 22lr over something like 17hmr (besides maybe cheaper ammo)? Just curious.

Bart B.

I must admit I sometimes misuse "accuracy" instead of "precision."

Precision is the group extreme spread being as small as possible. Its size is determined by variables in the rifle and ammo.

Accuracy is the group center being as close to the point of aim as possible. Its totally depends on what aims the rifle until bullets leave the barrel.

All of which is why rifles or ammo's components and assembly are best tested for quality in accuracy cradles and machine rests eliminating all the variables us humans have.

Last edited:

Bart B.

attachment.php

Shot that in a 50 yard prone match 12 years ago with my Anschutz 1911 with a 22X scope. Inner X ring is .39 inch. Eley Tenex ammo made in 1979(?). My point of aim stayed inside a quarter inch diameter area bouncing and wiggling from heartbeats. The 10-shot test group supplied with the rifle I bought in 1993 was the size of that 4-shot cluster in target 8.

Note the 50 and 100 yard rimfire prone records set before the 1980's still stand. Those rifles tested well under 3/10ths MOA at 50 yards, 5/10ths MOA at 100. No 22 rimfire ammo made since then has shot that well. The 50 yard record set in 1975 has 185 shots like those pictured. Such results require accuracy to last for at least 50 shots

Lithgow guarantees their 22 rimfire rifle accuracy of half an inch (1 MOA) at 50 yards with 3 shots of match ammo. They know accuracy gets worse after the first 3 shots.

Last edited:

Mr.RevolverGuy

Bart B,

It would be awesome to have you and that Anschutz in the Dayattherange 22LR Challenge. Wow what a shooter. Though there is a single shot in the contest that seems to shoot about as good. Nice target.