Rifling question - T/C vs. Weatherby

wbw

I'm not new to shooting, but am fairly inexperienced with rifles. I'm looking to get a bolt action rifle in .223/5.56 for range fun, no hunting. I keep going back and forth between a T/C Venture in .223 and a Weatherby Vanguard S2 in same caliber. I see that the T/C Venture has a 1:12 twist in a 22" barrel. The Weatherby is 1:9 in a 24" barrel. It seems like 55 grain bullets are fairly common in .223. So for target shooting at 100 yards or closer with a 55 grain bullet, which would be the better choice: 1:12 or 1:9?

And if you have any experience with these two rifles and want to chime with your opinions, please do. The Venture is a little cheaper to start with and has a $75 rebate. It also comes with scope bases which would have to be purchased for the Vanguard.

jmr40

The 1:12 twist is designed for bullets 55 gr and lighter, any heavier and it will probably not be satisfactory. 1:7 twists are generally best with bullets 55 gr and heavier. The 1:9 is a good compromise that will probably shoot everything well except for the extreme ends of the spectrum. There are always exceptions with individual rifles and bullets, but this is a good general guide.

I wouldn't want to limited to only the lighter bullets, but if you never plan on shooting anything heavier than about 55 gr the 1:12 will be a good choice.

Doyle

I'm with JMR. Unless you are buying a dedicated rifle for varmint shooting, I'd want a faster twist than 1/12.

Jim Watson

If you are only shooting at 100 yards, you don't really need a long heavy high BC bullet. Theoretically, the 12 twist, optimized by the Army for the 55 gr FMJ BT M193, would be better if you load the usual short range benchrest bullet like a 52 gr JHP.

However, if you are going to shoot 55 gr FMJ BT imitation army surplus, the 9 twist might make up for the generally lower quality of that style.