rifling dimensions

logeorge

Where can I find a chart or table of industry standard rifling dimensions? I've searched the internet ancome up with everything to do with the subject except what I wanted to know. I believe I have something on it in my conglomeration of firearms literature, but haven't been able to find it. What brought it up was that a friend asked me what the difference was between 9mm Luger and .38 special rifling. L. O. G.

PetahW

9x19/9mm Luger's rifling characteristics are .356" groove dia, usually a RH twist with a groove width of .125" and a land width of .055", but barrel dimensions vary by manufacturer - making forensic firearms ID a science.

Since .357 & .38 Special barrels typically exhibit a groove diameter of .356" to .358" and their twist, land & groove dimensions also vary by manufacturer, both are theoretically virtually interchangeable.

In reality, however, the difference in the cartridges, and the respective bullets used, is usually what drives different twist/land/groove types/dimensions.

AFAIK, there is no centralized or collective table(s) that include all barrels made by all manufacturers for all .38 Special and/or 9x19/9mm Luger loads.