Rifled slugs only for use in rifled barrels???

skeeter

I just bought several boxes of Breneke (sp?) 3" magnum rifled slugs. When I got home I noticed it said on the box, "Use only in rifled barrels". Can I use these slugs in my standard smooth barrel 18 1/2" 870 barrel?
Anyone know rthe Muzzle energy of these slugs?

They look like a 2 part slug with a metal stem connecting the 2 parts. Do these slugs break apart in big game and not penetrate? Thanks for advice.

popnokick

Are you certain what you have there is a "rifled" slug and not a "sabot" slug? The only time I've seen or read "use in rifled barrels" is with sabots.

BigD

Generally, a "rifled slug" would be used in a smooth bore barrel. Having the slug rifled imparts some spin as the slug travels down the smooth bore and lends stability.

Sabots or non-rifled slugs are typically used with a full rifled barrel or a rifled choke tube at the very least.

Here is an example of a rifled slug:
rifled_s.gif

a non-rifled slug:
NwCP%20Slugs.jpg

and a sabot:
sabot_s.gif

Hope this helps!

Westicle

rifled slugs are for smoothbores......

Sabots and non rifled slugs are for use in rifled barrels or barrels with rifles chike tubes.

generally speaking of course....

I have had great perfomance with 1 oz saboted remington copper solids out to 50 yds with my beretta 1200FP riot gun smooth bore. so try the loads in YOUR gun and see how they shoot.

10 rounds of 4-5 various makes is cheap insurence to find a good load.