Rifle to fill the gap

hollow point

OK guys, as I am contemplating the next rifle purchase, I feel like I have two gaps in my non-PC "arsenal". I've got a Bushmaster AR (with a Norinco MAC-90 as backup) for a light carry rifle; a FAL (with a Mauser in .308 as backup) for a heavy battle rifle, and a 10/22 for the various cleanup job. :) The two gaps I see are a long range tactical rifle and a pistol calibre carbine.

I looked at the two and decided to go after the carbine first, because I see the future of semi-auto anythings as being pretty "iffy" while I think we have a few years left before they go after the bolt action rifles. I thought about a 9mm upper for the AR, but I think I am going with the Ruger PC-9 because a) I already have a P85MkII, b) you can still buy the 30 rnd mags for the same price you could 10 years ago and c) I can get the whole rifle for about the same as a new upper will run me.

What do you guys think? Any faulty logic here? - JHP

Rob Pincus

No, except for wanting a rifle in 9mm! ;)

Honestly, a rifle that matches calibre and mags with a pistol is not a bad idea or extreme situations. I gathered from your post that you have two arsenals, one PC and one not... from this I am guessing that your PC arsenal includes a good bolt rifle. If not, I would quietly suggest a good .308 bolt rifle as an addition before you jump into the PCC.

In terms of PCC's, the Ruger looks like a great weapon, though I have limited use. I'm used 10-22s and Mini-14s extensively and almost always been very pleased (the last 10-22 I bought had a problem with the front site, which the factory acknowledged and offered to fix).

A pistol caliber carbine is more a curiousity than anything else. Stick with a 16" upper on your Bushmaster and you reduce parts, magazine and ammo problems. Keep the guns to a minimum and be good with what you've got. If anything, get a Savage 110 Tactical or Remington 700 (VSS or LTR) and scope them for longer range shooting.

hollow point

Well, the mauser is in .308 and it is bolt action, but the barrel has been chopped and the accuracy at long ranges just is not there (or maybe I just haven't found it yet!). I agree that the bolt action is a need, but I am still thinking between a bolt action or a single action. Both have desirable qualities for what I am looking for.

In my PC _collection_ (not "arsenal" - that's not a PC term :)) I do have a .44 Mag Smith and a .44 Mag lever action carbine. I have practiced shooting drills where the rounds get transfered from cylinder to tube when switching from short to long range shooting. (I also found out that the Bianchi Speed strips are better than rotating speed loaders when you want to reload either revolver or rifle - something to think about if you have this setup at home). I like the idea of dropping the mag out of a pistol and switching to a rifle for longer range shooting. Of course, 9mm long range shooting isn't the same as .44 long range shooting...

-JHP

swampy

Your logic is find. Since you already have the P85, the PC9 can use the same mags. I had a P89 and went with the PC9GR. The 30 round mags protrude too far for some applications. I find the 15 rounders and the 20 rounders better suited for all purpose use. The PC9 is heavy for a carbine-- a better car gun than something you would want to carry a lot. You get some velocity improvement in the 9 from the PC9's longer barrel. The 9mm doesn't have the excess case capacity that the .357 mag does (allowing use of slower burning powders), so you can't substantially bump up velocity by reloading expressly for a carbine. Also, the PC9 is a good carbine to put a tactical light on. The worse case is that you will have a lot of fun doing a lot of plinking with 9mm rounds that are easy on your wallet. Good shooting!

Recon

Skip the pistol caliber carbine. You already have the AR. Check out the Savage 110 tactical witha good scope. They will shoot just a good as a Remington for about 1/2 the price. Use the money you save for optics and a trigger job. Mine will shoot 1/4 MOA all day long with handloads and Fed. GM.

BMWGS80

What do you mean by Long Range Rifle? 400, 600, 1000 yds?

What do you want for a Carbine Light, short?

If you are wanting a short rifle that does not have to be light weight just compact you can get a Rem 700 LTR and have a good compromize for both precision and size. I do not reccomend this for ranges over 600 yds. It will do well for anything up to this if you practice.

If you need a precision rifle for longer range I suggest a
Rem 700PSS in 300 Win. Mag.

For the carbine either a BLR in .308, Steyer or Savage Scout.

Just some other suggestions.

Good Hunting,

ts

BigG

A pistol caliber carbine is not that great unless it is FA. Of course, if you want one, logic goes out the window. ;)

RazorsEdge

I'm with Recon. I waited for years with bated breath for the Ruger pistol carbine to come out. Then when it did, I'm kinda into a yawn.

Bottom line, if I'm going to the trouble of carrying a carbine, I want a little more punch than 9mm. Also, some of the early test reports said that accuracy was only fair, about five inches at 50 yards.

I don't need a tack driver, but I want three inches at 100 yards.

The carbine might be a good choice if you want to restrict it to an apartment defense weapon, where overpenetration is a thought.

Also, as a low cost plinker, its a great idea. I just don't have a place to plink anymore.

Good luck on your choice.

RazorsEdge

Since Gore didn't win, the price of AR clones at gun shows have dropped quite a bit. If I had the cash, I'd be thinking backup to my Bushy. It's nice to have a spare parts set that also shoots.

No4Mk1*

You already have two intermediate power self loading rifles. I like Razor's AR idea. I would make it a standard or lightweight 16" barrel. It seems I only see heavy barrels, so you might have to do some searching.

George Hill

Staff Alumnus
VEPR II in 7.62X39 for the middle and an M1 Garand for the upper end.

Pistol Calibers? Maybe in SMGs or Lever Actions...

Watch-Six

Skip the pistol caliber carbines. I had a 9mm CAR15 when they first came out. It was kind of useless. A regular 16" AR will do anything it will plus a lot more. Get a good .308 bolt gun instead. The Remington PSS comes to mind.

XXSUPO

BIGBOREBRUSHBUSTINGBONEBREAKER

444, 45-70 or 450 marlin should do the trick.
i cant think of any more UN-PC that 300+ gr. bullets at 2000+fps.
lets see you bust up a concrete block wall w/ a 9mm.