Rifle scope help... AO and parallax questions?

Vitamin G

Hello, I'm currently looking for a scope for a 10/22.
THIS looks like something pretty good, and very much about what I want.

I would like a scope I can use for my 10/22, as well as remount on a hunting rifle, if i ever get around to hunting.

Does "Adjustable Objective" mean that I can reset the parallax? This would make it a rimfire/centerfire scope, right?

Please explain what these mean.

cheygriz

Adjustable objective allows you to adjust for zero parrellax at different ranges.

I know not everyone will agree, but I personally would not spend my money on anything made by Simmons, Tasco, Bushnell etc.

Spend a fw dollars extra and get a Leupold, Burris of Nikon. In the long run, you'll be glad you did. I've owned a half dozen of these "K-Mart special" types scopes over the last 50 years, and I've regretted wasting my money on every one of them.

You're not going to get any kind of quality optics much under $350. I had to learn that the hard way.

woodland

While I agree cheygriz, you do get what you pay for. BUT! I have had a Simmons on a 10/22 before, and had no problem with it at all. For most situations, you would probably be happy with that scope. But, once you have a high end optic, it is hard to go back to the lower cost ones.

G56

That Simmons is a really cheap scope for a 6-24X variable, I personally wouldn't consider it a good choice, the cheap scopes usually aren't clear on the higher powers, and the size, weight and magnification of that scope are just too much for a rimfire rifle, too big for most centerfire rifles, the magnification is suitable for a varmint rifle, but that cheap a scope wouldn't be a good choice in that role. Another thing to think about, a AO scope is fine when shooting long distance from a fixed point, like varmint hunting, but you wouldn't want to fool with an AO scope while hunting deer. AO scopes are meant for long range, while some of them can be adjusted for the short range that a 22 would be used at, they are a real pain at short range, many AO scopes cannot be adjusted for less than 100 yds, no good for a rimfire.

Bushnell makes some good scopes, their Elite series are as good as any on the market, but if you want a decent scope for a reasonable price, a Bushnell Banner 3-9X is a decent scope, and suitable for a rimfire or centerfire hunting rifle.
Bushnell Banner 3-9X variable

Death from Afar

With the Ruger bolt going back and striking the cross pin at the end of the reciver all that nasty force is transmitted directly onto your scope. A el cheapo vari power will be battered into submission in quick order, in much the same way a cheap scope on a spring air rifle is quickly ruined..

A 6-24 is TOTALLY unneeded on a .22 LR. I have a 4x on my Marlin, and a 6X on my .22 magnum. Anything else is just not needed. Get a fixed 4 power, and a good one. That is all you need.

johnbt

Does that mean I have to take the 36x scopes off my .22s? ;) How about the 6.5x-20? And I'm not giving up my 6x-24 either. To each their own.

IIRC, the parallax on a fixed power Leupold centerfire scope is set for 150 yards and the fixed power rimfires are set at 60 yards or so. The 2 Leupold EFR(extended focus range) scopes (6.5-20 & 3x-9) will adjust down to 10 or 11 yards for rimfire use and out to infinity if your range is that long. If you wanted to use the 3x-9EFR on a centerfire you could set the AO on 100 yards or 150 and just leave it there while you hunted.

John