Rifle (Open) Sights For A Shot Gun??

Kawabuggy

I was wondering if anyone can recommend a rifle, or open, site that I can add to my shotgun for better accuracy. I fired some slugs yesterday from 40 yards, then 30 yards, and finally 25 yards and I am hitting left of target using just the bead.

If there are sights like this out there, do they have adjustable windage and elevation?

I want to use slugs for hog hunting in my semi-auto and would like better accuracy than I am getting right now.

Thanks!

Bob Hostetter

Try talking to these guys, they seem to be building a lot of custom shotguns using either rifle type sights or ghost rings. I shot one of their shotguns last weekend and it was very well done.

www.tacttec.com

darkgael

sights for SG

If your SG has a rib on it, there are sights available that clamp on to the rib. I have not used them, don't know how good they are. Both Tru-Glo and Williams make them. Brownell's sells them.
Pete

zippy13

Open sights for shotguns are more like grenade launcher sights than rifle sights. There are several fitment options. But, you may be hitting left because of a bad gun mount and/or poor fitting stock.
Is your barrel plain or ribbed? Are you looking for something permanent or temporary?
If it's a vent rib barrel, simply add a center bead. It will keep you aligned and you can use it for elevation: Beads aligned for straight on, figure-eight beads for a little range and a gap between them for more range. Also, there's several sights that clamp onto the rib.
For a smooth barrel, there are fewer options because a simple center bead would be too low. A rear sight for a smooth barrel has to be supplemented with a ramp for the front sight. As with rifles and handguns, many shotgun sights are model specific in their fitment.
There are almost as many shotgun sighting devices available as there are people, looking for a short-cut around practicing, willing to buy them.

L_Killkenny

The sights that come on "slug barrels" are the same as the sights that many companies put on thier rifles. But for your bird barrel you are pretty well SOL for good sights.

2 options:
#1) You can by scope mounts that saddle the receiver of many shotguns. You didn't say what gun you have but this can be a great option. You can get a mount and cheap (yet reliable) scope for less than $100.
#2) Buy a slug barrel. Avoid rifled barrels unless you like shooting slugs that cost about $2.50 a pop. Nothing worse than spending $50 sighting in a gun.

LK

Scattergun Bob

Kawabuggy

Would like to help you, need more info

1. What shotgun do you have, some details, barrel length and type, ribbed / no rib.

2. what size target did you shoot at and how many inches left of center were you hitting.

3. What distance are you considering shooting at, what size group are you trying to obtain.

4. What kind of budget are you dealing with.

try and give as much detail as you can.

I what you to remember that scatterguns shooting slugs are today's smooth bore muskets from the 1700's. The voodoo magic of smootbore's is that some shoot very well and some are oinkers (pigs)!!!! basically, you pay your money and take your chances.

Lets find out what you got, and then will talk about sights, OK

Good Luck & Be Safe

Kawabuggy

Okay, first-THANK YOU ALL for taking time out of your day to reply. I sincerely appreciate the effort.

My gun is a Stoeger M2000 with vent ribbed 28" barrel.

I like the idea of the clamp on rear sight to work with my front bead. That might do the trick. As long as I could adjust it so that the beads line up with where the slugs are striking.

In regards to distance I'll be shooting, and what type of groups I expect. I would think my maximum distance would be about 60 yards (can't imagine slugs being very accurate much farther than that). I would like to be at 3" or better at 60 yards with the proper sites on the gun *if possible*.

I will be hunting hogs ONLY with this set up. Since I would normally have time to line up the sites and then shoot I think it would be nice. If the sites I end up adding are not too obtrusive, I would just leave them on permanently.

Scattergun Bob

With that info, 2 folks have already suggested clamp on rifle sights, they simply afix to your ramp. I used a williams set and found them adiquate. I "think" you will need both fron and rear sights. Best of luck hunting hogs.

Good Luck & Be Safe

SPUSCG

what type of shotgun? my 870 has 20 inch barrel w/ rifle sights made for smoothbore slugs, you can buy it i think its a "deer" barrel

mikenbarb

Kawabuggy, The Williams makes a rifle sight set for it. It has a clamp on front and rear rifle type gights. I have 2 sets of them in my closet for my P-350 and 1100. Their nice sights and look good on the gun without looking stupid and bulky. Try out Federal Tru-Ball slugs for the smoothbore. Their the best I have found for that type of barrel and that range.
I may have an extra new set, I will PM you if I do.

Kawabuggy

Milken,
If you find you do have an extra set, and want to sell them-let me know!

I took the shotgun out this weekend and was burning through some bird shot just to familiarize myself better with the gun. I find that at about 20 yards with bird-shot I can put the center mass of the shot exactly where I want it to go. I was rapid firing and was still able to basically drill a hole through a burned out tree trunk. When I was done with 3 rounds, the spot I was shooting was about 6" in diameter. I was quite impressed that bird shot would pattern that well, and that I could hit the exact same spot 3 times in a row while rapid firing.

I like the way this gun handles and shoots. I already put a Limb-Saver recoil pad on it and it is a dream. It shoulders well, and I seem to be able to hit where I am aiming when I just throw it up and shoot. When I take my time and aim carefully with slugs though, I'm not so good.

Again, thank you to everyone who has replied. I appreciate it!

zippy13

Kawabuggy
It shoulders well, and I seem to be able to hit where I am aiming when I just throw it up and shoot. When I take my time and aim carefully with slugs though, I'm not so good.
Might you be flinching? Your subconscious knows, when you try to aim carefully with a slug, there's going to be more recoil than with bird-shot. It seems to me: more trap shooters, with their "aimed" long sots and heavier handicap loads, suffer more flinching problems that those shooting more quickly at closer crossing targets and lighter loads. To test for flinching, have a buddy load a dummy (snap cap) randomly in with your slugs. You'll soon know if you're flinching.
Let's hope you don't have a flinching problem but just need some more practice with slugs. The Limb-Saver will help, too. Remember, slow and deliberately aimed shots are a different world from animated wing shooting and require the development of a different set of skills.
Good luck and good hunting!​