Rifle mystery?

TPAW

Stored my rifles with scopes in a dry metal gun cabinet at room temp. No problem with water leaks, humidity, or any moisture. Some of the extended scope hoods to block sun are sticky, and the rubber around the scope where you turn it for adjustment has a white film on it that rubs off with a rag.
Any idea what's going on? Any one else have this happen to them?
There is no rust on anything....:confused:
Strange.....:eek:

Ideal Tool

Hello, Tpaw..I think it might be mold. I have a S&W co2 pistol & no matter how good I clean grips, after a year in basement, they are covered in slimy white film..and basement is dry..38% humidity. put out in sun & wipe with 50% solution of bleach & water.

FrankenMauser

It could be a chemical reaction from whatever you used to wipe the firearms down with, before storage.

It could also be a chemical reaction from one of the plastics, foams, or rubbers on a firearm or in the cabinet, that is out-gassing.

Is the box/cabinet lined with foam, carpet, or some other kind of synthetic textile?

TPAW

Is the box/cabinet lined with foam, carpet, or some other kind of synthetic textile?

No, just metal with baked on paint from the factory. Had it for 15 years and only developed the problem this year. Area is dry with no evidence of moisture. It only attacked some rubber/synthetic material, nothing else. So far I'm thinking it's mold.
Is there a product I can put in the cabinet to wick up moisture if any exists?

sc928porsche

You can get silica packets to help draw out the moisture. Or you can get a some baking soda, spread some out on a tray and put it inside your gun locker. Both will help absorb moisture.

mete

Some of those packets will change color when saturated with water.
Plastics and rubber may deteriorate in time .You can have something for a few years then suddenly it changes .I'm not a chemist so I can't explain that but I've seen it numerous times over the years. It may also be poor quality material from --China !! Also mold doesn't have to have a warm moist atmosphere to grow.

sig220mwxxxx

DO NOT USE BLEACH ON YOUR GUN !!!!!!!! It is an oxidizer and will cause rust on anything that is ferrous. I know because I have made this mistake before.

sc928porsche

Silica packets or baking soda should be replaced monthly. Baking soda is by far the cheapest and easiest to acquire. Be sure to keep your tray on a seperate shelf from your firearms. If you live in a humid climate, then change every 2 weeks.

ScottRiqui

DO NOT USE BLEACH ON YOUR GUN !!!!!!!! It is an oxidizer and will cause rust on anything that is ferrous. I know because I have made this mistake before.

I can vouch for this as well. The combination of chloride bleach and soap is even worse. I once filled a sink with hot soapy bleach water and didn't notice a small stainless steel knife I had left in the bottom of the sink. When I drained the water out (about a half-hour later), there were huge pits and gouges taken out of the blade - the knife was ruined.

Sport45

You can kill mold/mildew with rubbing or denatured alcohol without as much worry of corrosion. Oil the surfaces as needed after treatment.