Rifle identification?

Toolman

Need some help identifying this rifle. It's rusty, dirty but I think i can salvage it. The overall length is 35-1/2". It has a fixed rear sight that's stamped CAL 6.5 right behind it. The receiver is stamped TG 77XX and there's a circle cartoche that has the number 11 stamped inside it. The bayonet is frozen. I think this is a Carcano or a training rifle. Here's some pics of it.
Thanks for any info you may have.

Attachments

• 6.5 rifle 1.jpg
    6.5 rifle 1.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 733
  • 6.5 rifle 2.jpg
    6.5 rifle 2.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 477
  • 6.5 rifle 3.jpg
    6.5 rifle 3.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 390

Toolman

Here's some more pics.

Attachments

• 6.5 rifle 4.jpg
    6.5 rifle 4.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 350
  • 6.5 rifle 5.jpg
    6.5 rifle 5.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 247
  • 6.5 rifle 6.jpg
    6.5 rifle 6.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 225

oldmaster111

What you have is an Italian carcano model M91 cavalry carbine. Here is a web site with info for you. world.guns.ru/rifle/rfl21-e.htm
Good luck with your clean up project.

oldmaster111

I did a little more looking and it could also be an M38 Moschetto cavalry rifle.
Here is another site: personal.stevens.edu/~gliberat/carcano/

Toolman

Thanks Oldmaster111,
I believe you're right. I checked those websites & the M91 Cavalry model looks right on. I'm gonna try to get the wood off, then probably use Kroil on the metal parts to free things up. I also found some some clips & I'll get those ordered. When I get it cleaned up/out I'll check the head space. The guy I got it from said it was a WWII bringback. It'll be hard to prove that tho. The stock is in very good shape for a bringback.

dutchy

Toolman,

If you do get it restored to its former "glory", take care that you do not sell it to someone called Lee Harvey Oswald.

Toolman

So far the restoration is coming along. The screws have come out easier than expected. The buttstock had the cleaning rods intact. The frozen bayo is loosening up thanks to some PB Blaster. When I got the wood off the barrel, pitting appeared minimal.

El Paso Joe

I have one of those...

Yup, it is a Carcano. They were sold by the truckloads in the early (pre GCA-68) 1960's for between 10 and 15 bucks. Lee Harvey Oswald used the full rifle version. Mine is a carbine like yours. I misplaced the bayonet somewhere in the last 40+ years. I don't think the rear sight on yours is right. Mine is fully adjustable (the whole thing rotates up for more elevation).