Rifle for Hiking Defense Part II

El Rojo

You are 100% correct Pete! I truely did forget the Mark19. I was seriously going to post that too. Howver, after I posted the pictures, they shut us down. Anyway, I am glad you all got a good laugh. It was all in fun.

Schmit

Staff Alumnus
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Howver, after I posted the pictures, they shut us down.[/quote]

:confused: Well Wayne, Garth... what the heck is this (R4HD PII)... Chop Liver? :D

[This message has been edited by Schmit (edited April 30, 2000).]

My comment on being ONE WITH NATURE obviously got this thought thread into the wrong footing; but, let me try to correct it.

The original question was from a 18 yr old toting a rifle in the woods because he was afraid of a pistol slinger stranger he saw.

The 18 yr old was afraid of the hikers he leads.

Ever think that the pistol slinger also has a right to be there and probably started carrying the pistol because he saw a squad of hikers coming along and the leader had a rifle!

Nature is meant to be enjoyed; we play with our toys because we dream of using them for some imagined defensive role (the offensive role being illegal).

I suggest that sometimes in nature we need to be unarmed except with a dagger or survival knife.

Forget that pistol slinger. If this original poster wanted a gun for safety; he should also be carrying a 0.22 cal pistol for snakes and other varmints. A little pistol can sometimes scare off bears.

That other pistol slinger stranger is the model to follow.

George Hill

Staff Alumnus
Hart - Uh - I got a problem with your other post here.
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>2. Guns are to be used on humans only. I do not believe that bears or mountain lions really exist any longer in the usa. If you do find one; you are expendable, the endangered bear or lion deserves to live more than you.[/quote]
You have GOT to be kidding. Bears, Mountain Lions, Wolves and the Boogie Man do indeed still live in the USA - in the LOWER 48 even.
In Utah, I have seen ALL THE ABOVE - with the exception of the Boogie Man, who I saw down town in Panama City... but thats another story. These creatures do live in places where they can come across people... real people - not those played on TV.
These animals can also indeed attack people. I remember very clearly when I was attacked by a black bear while camping in the pacific northwest. Another forum member here has a whole webpage dedicated to the truths about bear attacks - he is an expert in the subject since he was severly mauled by one.
While I was not attacked by it - I was within 30 yards of a Puma last year here in Utah. Puma - Yup - Mountain Lion... aka Couger. Also known as a freakin big angry cat. Pound for pound, a cat will tear the hell out of a dog... and this cat was bigger than most dogs I see locally. Looked like it could have weighted in about the same as me. Or at least its teeth seemed that big.
It ran off - after making me about soil my linens... Had it felt more threatened and attacked me... well. I would have had to defend myself. Because I firmly beleave that a human life is worth far more than some critter. Especially my own or my loved ones. This treehugger animal loving mentality makes me quite ill. Humans are the top of the food chain for a reason. If your Darwinistic then you know we evolved for a good reason. If your a creationist you know that God gave us animals for our use. That can mean blowing them away if they threaten us. Population limitation by natural selection or failure of adaptation is no justification for forfeiture of self defense rights. 2 legged or 4 legged or winged, or scaled - doesnt matter. There are far less Hill's in this world than there are pumas or bears...
"Sometimes scare off bears" That aint good enough. Not if that bear is coming after you and that little .22 didnt scare him off. Then what are you going to do? Run? Sure... go for it. After all, better you die than that poor endangered bear!

Catamounts are bountiful in CA ever since the ban on hunting them was enacted back around 1992. Accordingly, deer herds have dropped and in expanding their realm, these lovable woodland creatures have even penetrated into the SF Bay Area. Besides sightings in Marin County (future home of StarFleet HQ) and Contra Costa County (no less than 20 miles from SF), these big cats have managed to bag a couple of joggers.

Erik

I have encountered black bears and mountain lions in Colorado, and a grizzly in Wyoming- though it was several hundred yards off.

I still think the Marlin Guide in 45-70 is the answer.

Erik

Hueco

I am going tonight (hopefully) to get my reloading equipment. After I get up and running, I will most likely buy the Guide Gun or the 1894P. That way, I can cobble some loads just for hiking without having to pay the extra for Garrett or wait for the order to arrive. I'd shoot it a alot, and reloading would be almost a must. Thanks!

Hueco

El Rojo

I sort of agree with HID, but I was just having fun with this thread. I have a CCW and I am very concerned with personal safety, but I have never had to carry a weapon into the backcountry here in CA and I have seen people in the woods with guns. I have never felt threatened and I have been hiking around the Golden Trout Wilderness since 1990. I was 13 then and I started leading this groups out in the woods in 1994 when I was 17. I really doubt you are going to have a problem Hueco, but if you still want to carry something, really think about everyone who is urging you to keep it low-key. When I see you out prancing around this summer with your AK, that will make me a little nervous. But then nothing I can do about it since I probably won't be armed. Damn, I better take my M1A and M1 Carbine with me just incase I run into Hueco. I better not forget to have the Colt .45 strapped on my side with the Glock 27 in my back pocket. I have nothing to fear from him I am sure, but the arms race has begun! ;)

Jaeger

Hueco,

It sounds like you're on the right track. Let us know what you end up with. I'd still like to urge you to pick up an AK varient of some sort. They are still pretty cheap, mags are still cheap and ammo is dirt cheap. They really are a lot of fun and I have to wonder how much longer they will be around. The AK may not be your best option for hiking but you should have one anyway..... Just 'cause you can!

El Rojo

I found it! Bears wouldn't stand a chance! Rabid ground squirrels beware! Need firewood? Use this as an axe!

GE Miniguns
354.jpg

blades67

Miniguns are fun to shoot, but I hate policing the brass! They do make lots of firewood, make lots of kindling at the same time. ;)

------------------
Guns cause crime like spoons cause Rosie O'Donnell to be fat!

I hunt, therefore I am.

ojibweindian

Why not get a Lee-Enfield from Gibbs Rifle? They're well-made, inexpensive, plentiful, and can be had in either .308 or .303, which are relatively cheap, especially when compared with the .45-70 They are certainly as fast-handling as any lever action rifle and their magazines can hold either ten or twelve rounds, depending on caliber.

------------------
For God so loved the world that he gave his onlly begoten Son...

Edmund Rowe

On a budget I'd bring a Lee-Enfield #4 Mark 1 or 2. .303 British soft points have some pretty respectable thump going out there. Note that the magazine tabs may need some bending or filing back for best feeding.

The reasons I'd prefer a L-E #4:

-Decent power cartridge
-smooth action
-good open sights "as is"
-Can be had for under $200, sometimes WELL under $200.
-Rugged design

I prefer bolt action to lever action for dangerous "save my life" rifle work because the bolt gun relies on the strong manipulation of the palm going mostly forward and back where (to me) the throw is strong. Lever actions rely on the outside of the hand going forward for extraction and the palm going sorta upward for the chambering. Now, I have shot a lever action very well but the throw just seems less natural and more prone to human hiccups than a bolt gun. Oh, and I'm sure everyone knows if its serious shooting then the action needs to be thrown authoritatively to the stops HARD.

Hope that helps.

Edmund

6forsure

if hueco is hueco tanks, (el paso). i'd take a pump shotgun with buck (maybe downloading to half a mag in the day or night to let mag springs rest). but i seem to be naturally better with pump shotguns anyway so i'm biased.