Rifle for Girlfriend to shoot...

...I should start of by saying that this will be my rifle, but primarily for my girlfriend to shoot at the range and maybe some varmints down the road. I took her to the range yesterday with a couple of rifles. She didn't like my Savage 12FV in .308 as the recoil was a bit too much. She did however like my Savage 93R17. This was only the 2nd time she had ever shot a gun, first time ever shooting a rifle. After about 10 shots she was able to put about 20 rounds in a 1" - 1.5" circle at 100 yards.

I'm looking at getting a dedicated bench rest/varmint rifle.
Thinking about either .223 or .204. What would you suggest based on ammo cost and recoil?

I might add that she is 5' 1" so she needs something with a short stock. Does anyone make a youth-size Varmint rifle in the calibers listed above?

Thanks for the help and I will post a pic of her target when I get home.

P-S

kraigwy

You didnt say if you hunt large game. If she does the 243 would fit the bill, if only targets then the 223/204 would fit.

The 223 is cheaper (ammo wise) but, at least in my Ruger #1 204 there isn't much for recoil, (not that the 223 or 243 kicks)

My wife broke her back and has three rods between her shoulder blades, She cant take any recoil. I built her a 243 for hunting. She can shoot it with no problems.

Again it depends on what she wants to do, if you state allows 223s for deer hunting, then that would be the cheapest route (ammo wise). If not and she wants to hunt, then the 243. I really like the 204, but if you dont reload its gonna be pricy to shoot.

So depending one what she wants to do, the 243 or smaller would fit the bill.

pax

A rifle for you, but good for a beginner, with a short stock for your GF but also still manly enough for others to shoot? Try an AR in .223 with an adjustable stock. Lots of fun for the whole family. ;)

pax

dmazur

My wife is also small statured (5-2) and she really likes this rifle in .243 Win, primarily for target but she also uses it for deer hunting from a fixed location -

http://http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=7886&return=Y

It doesn't come in a youth stock, but if you cut the stock down an inch and install a grind-to-fit Pachmyer Decelerator, she will love it. With a scope, the rifle is going to weigh around 10.5-11 lbs, and with that weight and the recoil pad, felt recoil is going to be next to nothing.

The only thing wrong with these rifles is the price. :)

AR

I have a Rock River AR chambered in .223/5.56. Problem is she is scared of it because of the shorter barrell and the noise it produces under th awning at the range. She likes bolt actions so I am going to stick with that for now. Once she gets proficient and can demonstrate proper gun handling all the time without me having to remind her, then i might think about getting her something semi-auto.

Rifleman 173

You might consider an M-1 .30 caliber carbine. Most of the women I've taught actually like that little jewel a lot. If you get her a .30 caliber carbine, don't expect to get it back because she WILL claim it as hers and hers alone. You are forewarned...

Have you considered gettting another Savage for her or are you wanting something else for variety sake?

Is a Remington Model 700 too big for her?

Another Savage is at the top of my list

I love the Savage Rifles and the Accutrigger. I don't think the Rem 700 is any bigger than the Savage heavy barrell line so I don't think it would be too big provided it has the right stock or if I modify the stock to fit. The main thing is the length of pull the stock presents. Her arms aren't long enough to reach without straining her neck to be able to get good sight picture through the scope.

globemaster3

I've been in the youth rifle market before and there are a lot of options. Remington makes a Model 700 SPS youth, Howa makes a 1500 youth model, Weatherby makes a Vanguard Youth model (which I own for my oldest), Savage makes a youth model. I have not seen a youth varmit before, but that's not to say there isn't one out there. The nice thing about all of them is they are good guns. Its like the Ford/Chevy/Dodge argument. Each has their favorites, but you really can't go wrong with any of them. The Wthby I bought came with a separate full size stock in addition to the youth.

Someone mentioned a good point above, pick the one she likes. Each rifle fits a little different. For instance, my daughter had trouble with my 700 BDL for LOP, but picked up a Ruger Frontier and liked the fit. Your trouble will be finding a location with multiple guns to try if you don't have a Bass Pro, Cabelas, or Gander Moutain type place nearby. Now, I am not advocating your purchase at any of these locations, as you might find a better deal online or with your local gunshop, but as far as mass quantity of rifles to compare, you are hard pressed to beat them.

As far as caliber, give that some thought. Craig was dead on with the .223/.243 recommendation and I strongly second it. My 12 yo's Wthby is in .243.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.

If you stick with Savage, IIRC, there's a few aftermarket stock makers that are reasonably priced that might fit her needs. Of course, you're spending extra money to do this. But Savages are VERY reasonably priced and are, as you know, are extremely accurate. This would be the avenue I'd pursue.

If you do get a different stock to fit her, it would be in a sense a customized rifle to her liking. The cool factor (if that's her thing) may motivate her to hit the range even more often and give her a more "mine" feeling to the gun.

Ultimately, as Buzzcook stated, let her decide what's best after giving some pointers. That's my opinion anyway...

strat81

I'm a short guy (5'2") and have no problems with an AR w/ collapsible stock. Recoil is mild and ammo is (relatively) cheap.

Varmints are easy for the .223. If your state allows it, and the hunter has the skill, I've seen pictures of deer harvested with 64gr Power Points.

CarbineCaleb

Well, if she won't be shooting beyond 100 yards, maybe she'd like a nice .22LR bolt action? Something like this perhaps? (CZ-452 variants, also chambered in .22WMR). CCI quotes a 3-inch drop for the .22LR over 100 yards, and 1-inch drop for the .22WMR:

Varmint:
main002.png

Lux:
main003.png

http://www.cz-usa.com/products_rimfire_rifles.php

Last edited:

Dr. Strangelove

Sounds like you have the right idea...

She likes bolt actions so I am going to stick with that for now. Once she gets proficient and can demonstrate proper gun handling all the time without me having to remind her, then i might think about getting her something semi-auto.

You are both listening to what she wants and making sure she stays safe? Great job, I don't think you really need this board to make a sound decision...

Since you asked, between .223 and .204, I would go with .223 because of cost and availability of ammunition. If you reload, then pick whichever makes the most sense for however you plan to use the rifle.

Last edited:

KChen986

I know I'm coming off as a total AR fanboy here, but an AR would be nice. Something lightweight. Looks badass, ergonomics are great and the recoil really is wimpy. So your girlfriend will feel like she's shooting something fun while it's really easy to manipulate and not harsh on the shoulders...

Last edited:

chris in va

Punching paper is boring. Get an AK, built for small people.

Or an AR with adjustable stock.

That being said, my friend absolutely LOVED my SKS. She also thoroughly enjoys my HiPoint carbine with large red dot. She's not fond of squinting through iron sights and prefers just to blast away at cans and such.

Thanks

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and feedback. I was just told that she want's a pink stock. Lord, give me strength!!! So much for it being my rifle that she shoots! Well, i guess i could always get some pink paint. Maybe do a cool "pink camo" paintjob.:barf: Anyways, thanks again.

spruilldog

you should be able to...

...shoot your girlfriend with pretty much anything .223 or larger and get the job done. If you are in the city limits and need to keep it quite I suggest a 22lr and head shots only.

Oh, you said for your girlfriend to shoot not shoot your girlfriend. My bad.:D