Rifle case prep sequence

Tacoma

I know I've read it around here somewhere but a search has turned up dry. Please refresh my memory, is proper sequence for prepping bottle neck rifle cases: Lube, size&deprime, trim, debur, tumble?

darkgael

sequence

I always tumble the cases first as I do not want to put dirty cases into my sizing dies. Also, I have found that tumbling deprimed cases, depending on the tumbling media used - leads to clogged primer pockets.
Pete

oneoldsap

Always clean first , my sequence may be a little different as I deprime with a dedicated die .

Deprime
Tumble (Tuff-Nut)
Size
Wipe off lube (mineral spirits and rag)
Trim (as needed)
Champher & Deburr
Uniform Flash Holes
Prime
Load

If you have any media in your primer pockets a No 7 1/2 Torx will push it right out !

ZeSpectre

Vibrate clean
Deprime
Clean primer pocket if needed
Size
Clean off lube (I used to do it differently but have moved to mineral spirits and cloth)
Swage (For 5.56 with mil-crimp)
Trim (as needed)
Chamfer & Deburr
Prime
Load

howlnmad

This is my order of operation for not new brass:
- remove primer using universal decapping dir
- give them a quick visual
- toss em in the cleaner (corn cob with a cap of nu-finish)
- wipe them with a soft cloth
- lube
- size
- trim as needed
- deburr/chamfer
- deburr flashhole (one time only)
- thorough imspection
- prime
- charge
- seat bullet
- wipe down

howlnmad

Tacoma

Thanks Gents, it all makes sense now. My ( 6.5x55 Swed ) deprime&sizing die was a bit sticky even with case lube. In hind sight, it stands to reason that a case that is a little dirty might cause some drag. I was also thinking that tumble would be after deburing (to smooth out any sharp edges on the case mouth.) I'm off marching in the right direction now.

Got to say that reloading tapered/bottle neck rifle cases is MUCHO labor intensive vs the handgun ammo I'm used to messing with. ( Straight walled, carbide dies, no trimming, etc) Now I remember why I just started buying factory ammo for my AR's. I guess it will make me shoot them slower ;-)