Rifle cartridges

Bacchus

Previously, I've been afraid to admit that I don't know anything
about rifle cartridges. Never been hunting.

Could someone post some information on the utility of various cartridges? For example, what is the .243 or 30-30 or whatever good for?

Also, generally speaking, I believe that the price of the ammo will
increase as the cartridge does. Is that correct? What about military surplus? And what cartridges are surplus, anyway? I believe that the 7.62 X 39 and .223 are surplus, right?

Please enlighten me. Thanks.

Kobra

For a guy new to rifles, I suggest the 30-30 you mentioned for several reasons. One it and .243 don't kick much hence for the unexperienced better shot placement....trust me I learned the hard way. My first rifle was a 300 Win Mag and now I realize that was too much. Plus I paid $7.95 for 20rds of 30-30 and $18.50 for 20rds of 300 Win Mag last year (cheap factory stuff on both). A lot more shooting for the money with the 30-30. Pick up reloading and you can shoot more. Either can be effective on deer as long as the distances are not great (250 yards+). Another favorite is 308. It too is surplus and to me is more accurate at distances than the other two. I have never shot a 7.62 but I understand its ballistics are similar to the 30-30.

Legionnaire

Bacchus, I suggest you hit the library and look for one (or both) of the following two titles: The Rifles, the Cartridges, and the Game by Clay Harvey, or Big Game Rifles and Cartridges by Elmer Keith. Either one will give you a good overview of different cartridges and capabilities, as well as the guns that shoot them.

J

Jeff, CA

I'd also recommend a reloading manual from any of the major manufacturers, even if you don't plan to reload. They all have write-ups on (at least) all the mainstream, factory-loaded cartridges.

Yes, prices do go up as cartridge size/power increase. There are rarity/demand issues that keep it from being an absolute rule, but generally speaking, you are correct.

orlando5

Or you can buy it cheap at ammoman.com. I love surplus ammo! All military ammo like 7.62x54R (Mosin-Nagant, Russia), 7.62x51 (308 NATO), 5.56x45 (.223 NATO), 7.62x39 (AK47), 5.45x39 (AK74), 7.7x56R (303 British), 7.92x57 (Mauser, Germany), 7.62x63 (30-06 USA), etc.

Buy surplus ammo they are much cheaper! I love rifle they are so much fun to shoot then pistol and you can do so much with them.

Long Path

Every shooter needs a copy of Frank Barnes' definitive work: Cartridges Of The World, which will explain the relative power and utility of cartridges, their dimensions, and history. Also included is a large section on shotshells. Cartridges are broken down into Obsolete, current rifle commercial, military, pistol, European, etc.

--L.P.

RiverRider

I second Long Path's suggestion. Cartridges of the World is one of the most interesting books I have in my firearms library...a must have!

labgrade

Member In Memoriam
Bacchus,

Never be afraid to admit you know "nothing" about anything. Lots do know everything about everything & are found out in short enough order. That you'd state it flat out adds to your credibility in my book. Nuttin' the matter with being a newby - we all were at some point in time.

If a hearty welcome has yet to be extended - consider yourself "part o' the gang" here at TFL.

I'd suggest a few days worth of TFL's excellent search engine - located at the upper right hand corner of this page. Type in ".308," ".243," whatever cartridge you're interested in and read the various topics. Probably take you a week to read all the replies & you will certainly get some good (albeit biased ;) ) information from those who either love, or detest any given cartridge. A big +, is they'll usually state why & that's all part of the learning process. It adds up.

After all that, & perhaps during, ask some more. I'm pretty certain that is just what TFL is here for.

As to .243 vs .30-30, the first is a smaller diameter bullet (.244") based on the .308 Win cartridge. Shoots bullets (generally) in the 75-100 grain weight range & is very suitable for small varmits to deer in the 150 lb range (lots of variables & has been known to take elk/moose). A fairly falt-shooting cartridge, which means the variables in its trajectory are less than some others (the .30-30 being only one). A usually very/mostly inherently accurate cartridge due to its design - & rifles it is chambered in.

.30-30's claim to fame, I'd say, is more in the type rifles it's used in - handly, light & quick pointing lever action mainly, although there are certainly others. It shoots .308" diameter bullets mainly in the 150 - 170 grain weights & is an excellent short-to-medium range (through 150 yards or so) cartridge for deer-sized critters. It too has taken moose/elk, bigger stuff. In lever actions, it is "restricted" to flat-nosed bullets due to the lever gun's (usual) tube magazine. Pointed bullets lined up nose to tail, can, through recoil, cause the cartridges in the tube to fire - a generally bad thing. This "restriction" as to bullet shape causes some "difficulties" due to a less-than-desired bullet profile for optimum trajectory - a pointed bullet flies "further/better" - sorta.

This just a quick dump. I'm a .243 snob - freely admitted - & that of another couple cartridges. These "others" seem to me anyway, do better what a .30-30 just can't do as well. .30-30 does have its place & its usual platform is a very handy rifle indeed. Of course, so are the bolt guns usually associated with the .243 - different strokes ....

What you plan to use the rifle for will make all the difference what type you "should" buy. A .30-30 for 300 yard prairie dogs just seems silly to me & while a .243 will certainly do Alabama whitetails at 80 yds, a .30-30 may be more "right" for you in that application.

At this juncture, & if I'm reading you right, I'd read up, ask a bunch of questions, get the chance to shoot a few & make up your own mind.

I think you'll find, for the most part, the TFL gang more than willing to answer any of your (not) "stupid" questions.