Rifle Caliber Opinions

P-99er

I am in the mood for another rifle. I have the common bases covered. 30-06, .223, 7.62x39

I would like to get input of a versatile rifle caliber, based on Deer, Elk, Moose hunting and long range accuracy. Reloading pros and cons... and basically anything you folks feel is pertinent.

My choice will most likely be a Remington 700. The caliber is still open for considertion.

I believe the interesting thing would be what calibers you recommend and why. If you feel 30-06 is or is not supreme, even though I have one, I would still love to hear your support or critique.

TIA

Navy joe

And now for the view from left field. ...

Why not a .45-70? Not exactly the conventional wisdom, but it is rather good for long range, just gotta use mortar sights. Very versatile and fun to shoot, get in a nice lever pack gun or something pretty like a Ruger #1 or repro gun.

A more conventional thought for me would be .300 Winmag. And the cheapest option is your .30-06 that will do everything you want anyway.

Lazzeroni offerings?

Pointblank2K

Sounds like you have plenty of options already! But just for fun why not try the 7.62x54r round? you can get a Mosin Nagant in excellent condition for around 100 bucks total...they have lots of after-market goodies to make it into a fine hunting rifle...and it is a blast to shoot!
Tony.

Salt

How about a .54 caliber Hawkins rifle made by T/C?

Thompsen/Center makes very good firearms and their Hawkins rifle is a classic. Very accurrate and reliable. The shooter does have to learn what he is doing of course, meaning that one should work up a load and practice.

The Hawkins rifle will take down any big game in North America, use light loads for small game, heavy loads for big game.

Commander Fan

You already have the deer, elk, & moose covered with that .30-06, which by the way, probably still holds the Guiness World record for the smallest group fired at 1,000yds. Shot with, "A .30-06 rifle of the shooter's own design." I haven't checked the record for some time though.

I did notice your list was missing one of the most versatile calibers in existance...the .22lr rimfire.:)

Also, a shotgun is a must for any collection, unless you already have that area covered.

After seeing how easy it might have been for things to fall apart last September, a rifle capable of chambering current military rounds is also a good option. A BDL in .308 Win would be a good survival choice here. Without getting into the dispute about the differences between the 7.62NATO and the .308 Win, the NATO round WILL fire in a .308 BDL. I have sefetly done it for nearly 10 years now with a BDL Varmint(.308) and de-linked M60 ammo.

PUMC_TomG

Close to what you have...

but I might suggest a .270. I have one and I just love it. Shoots a bit flatter and has the power to take care of everything you described and then some. (Plus - I'm really looking forward to using it at the Orange Grove this summer to take care of the boar and other pesky critters.) Can't wait to see what a .270 will do to a varmint.
However if this doesn't "trip your trigger" I could see where a .300 WinMag might make a nice addition.

Or just get a 700PSS with a nice Springfield Armory scope, a Harris Bipod and some camo paint. It would look cool, take care of all sorts of critters, and if the Tangos start something over here you can hide in the woods with your ghillie suit and pick em off in relative safety. :D

The Terminator

I too wanted one more rifle after having what I thought was a good collection for hunting. I chose a 375 H&H magnum. It will certainly kill anything that I will ever hunt on this continent with ease, and anything I might ever get lucky enought to hunt anywhere else. It is a classic beauty, and is a worldwide respected and known cartridge. You can buy ammo for it anywhere in the world, where dangerous game is. Mine is a Browning A bolt II, Stainlesss Stalker, Left hand, with a 26 inch barrel. I am very happy with the choice that I made. Get one and you have got it covered from any big American deer to hogs or whatever. Also, it is an effective long range rifle out to 300 yards, more for a better shooter. Best -

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
The usual first question: "Whatcha gonna do with it?"

After shooting and handloading with the '06 for over 50 years, I'd have to say it's about all you'd ever need for Lower 48 critters of deer size and above. I've loaded round lead ball ahead of five grains of pistol powder as a squirrel load; 80- and 110-grain bullets for varmints; 150- and 165-grain for deer...and you can always go up to 180- or 200-grain for elk or moose.

To get really good as an offhand shot, the .22 rimfire is hard to beat, since you get more practice for the dollar than with anything else.

If you're into varmint hunting, any of the centerfire .22s will do just fine. The main variable is the most usual distance to the jackrabbit, prairie dog or coyote. The Swift does an excellent job on feral cats out at 250 to 300 yards.

An excellent combination for varmints and smaller deer is the .243 or 6mm Remington. Very accurate, and minimal recoil. The .243 works well in a carbine-length barrel; my pet 19" Sako weighs seven pounds "fully dressed" and shoots 3/4 MOA regularly.

$0.02, Art

trapshooter

I would like to get input of a versatile rifle caliber, based on Deer, Elk, Moose hunting and long range accuracy. Reloading pros and cons... and basically anything you folks feel is pertinent.

Well, I would normally recommend a .30 magnum, but all of those are a bit much for deer, unless you reduce the charge. And, compared to the '06, they can be a bit redundant.

You could go to an 8mm, but, again, a bit more than required for deer. .338 is the same issue, and maybe both of these begin to be more than you need for elk, unless your taking longer (200+ yd) shots. (On the other hand, I never was a proponent of the 'just enough' caliber school).

7mm mag is a good round, but I'd want a bit more for moose.

Actually, when I was a one-gun rifle shooter, I chose the .300 winmag for exactly the reasons you state, and also because I could drop the charge for deer. IOW, it is a versatile round, but so are many others.

As has been noted, maybe you would be better off 'filling in the gaps', with a 6mm or a bigger than .30, and a .22lr. That's what I would do in your shoes.

Every caliber I've mentioned is capable of great accuracy in a Rem 700 (ex. the .22lr, of course because afaik, the 700 was never chambered for this one), and all are easy to reload (again, .22lr exception, obviously). Once you figure out how to reload a bottlenecked case, one is as easy as another, IMO.

KSFreeman

Firearms are just tools. What purpose do you have in mind?

If you do not know, then I recommend a .22 rimfire. I would purchase a lever or slide action which would allow more flexibility between shorts, longs and long rifle. A suppressed .22 bolt has much to be recommended as well.

The .30-`06 is a good choice. Did Sarah Brady recommend it?:confused:

Salt

If it has to be a cartridge rifle, you should look at the .30-30 Winchester. The Winchester Model 1894 rifle something that no hunter should be without.

Another option would be a Winchester M94 chambered in .32 Special for heavier bullets at the same velocities. The Savage model 99 rifle chambered in .303 Savage is good too, though one must handload for it as .303 Savage ammo is getting scarce.

The .32 Special also works well with blackpowder for handloaders that like to experiment. Just be sure to use a blackpowder lube and avoid the petroleum lubes for BP.

Zorro

You lack a real high velocity rifle and a bone breaking magnum.

I suggest a .270 Winchester OR a 7MM Remington Magnum for a High Velocity Caliber.

Bone Breaking Magnum Caliber?......Either a 35 Whelen or a .375 H&H Magnum, if you intended to hunt Kodiak or Polar bears or the African big 3 get a .458 winchester magnum.

Bob Locke

If versatility (deer on up to moose) is your aim, then I'd say owning a good .30-06 already has that taken care of. It'll do most everything over and above the varmints, which the .223 can handle. I think that moose might be on the upper end of what I'd try to take with an '06, but Art would probably disagree. :)

P-99er

Thanks for nothing Bob Locke, here I am wanting to buy another rifle and you tell me I have enough. Big help you are.:D

I was considering adding a little variety and didn't want, at some time in the future, to find out I don't have a base covered.

My initial decision is to get a Rem 700 in .308. Since I reload and have an -06 that will allow a little flexibility. Then to get both a .270 and 7mm, at some point in the future.

I really don't think I need a big bore.

The really neat thing is that I budgeted according to the MSRP's on Remingtons web page. I initially was looking at $800+. Then I compared the ADL to the higher end models at a gunshop. Since I am really just after the Remington Action, the ADL is fine. The prices on the ADL will allow me to get more than I initially expected.

So right now it will be the ADL in .308. Then when I get it customized etc., I will move to get the 270 and 7mm. That just about fills my want list right now.

Thanks for the input.