Rifle Bedding

JustKev55

What little I've read about rifle bedding seems to be geared toward bolt action rifles. Would bedding my 10/22 help improve it's accuracy? I have an International, the full length stock model. I've noticed that as the barrel warms up the accuracy deteriorates. I've seen the kits for bedding in the store at Cabela's in their new Scarborough, Maine store and nearly bought one but wasn't sure it would do anything for my 10/22.

Bitmap

Your accuracy issue sounds like one of two problems.

1. Could be the bedding. That is an issue that comes up more often with the full length stock than with a regular stock. Glass bedding it might help. Just finding where the stock is pushing asymmetrically on the barrel and opening up that part of the barrel channel might also fix the problem.

2. Could be a barrel issue. Barrels are easy to change out on a 10/22.

You might have both 1 and 2.

Bedding is one of the steps to making it accurate. Something I would try first is playing with the tightness of the screws that hold the action in the stock. Adding or reducing the tension might help, but I wouldn't count on that helping much since the problem is temperature related.

Scorch

Properly glass bedding a 10/22 is tricky at best. Properly bedding a Mannlicher stock is difficult. Trying both is really chalenging. You can check you bedding to look for pressure points, but leave the glass bedding to someone who knows how to do it.

Picher

Check out my bedding tips in the Tips and Tricks forum at rimfirecentral.com .

The 10-22 really responds to good glassbedding which should have a relatively strong pressure point. The pressure point is needed on all rifles that only have one stock/action screw. It forces the rear of the action into the bedding while minimizing barrel movement/vibration.

Oh, I should mention that the 10-22 is about the most difficult rifle to bed properly. Read the tips and try it if you dare!!

Picher