Rifle Basix SAV-1 Savage Trigger review

riggins_83

Installed a Rifle Basix SAV-1 trigger on a Savage 10 .223 (Stevens 200) tonight. Instructions are pretty straightforward, no illustrations of the assembly process ( other than a picture of the trigger and screw placement itself) however it's certainly not rocket science.

Picked up some new snap caps just for the occasion since I knew I'd be dry firing this a lot while adjusting the trigger. I set the overtravel adjustment screw first which was a bit of a mistake since the sear adjustment screw can affect how much travel is needed too. I didn't threadlock it in right away since I wanted to test it first.

Setting the sear adjustment and getting rid of trigger creep was really easy, just cocked the bolt then tightened the sear adjustment screw down until it touched and tightened a tiny bit with the allen wrench. Played with this and the weight of pull adjustment for awhile, turned weight of pull a bit at a time until I had the tension where I wanted it. Once the tension was right I cocked and rechecked the adjustment on the sear adjustment screw.. it was still pretty close.

Eyeballed each screw, removed it and gave it some blue compound threadlock then reseated each until it was where I wanted it. Threadlocked the overtravel screw then the sear adjustment screw, weight of pull screw and finally the safety screw.

I haven't had a chance to test the trigger weight yet but it seems around 2.8 lbs. I tightened down the weight of pull screw until the screw tension prevented the sear from staying forward when cocking then backed off slowly.. continued about 1.5 turns after it begin staying forward (cocked). Certainly not an exact science and I probably won't have the chance to exactly measure the pull until next week.

It was truly a drop in trigger, didn't require me to make any modifications to the stock for proper fit or shave off the trigger to fit within the guard.

I know a 1 - 3lb adjustment range is not a truly light trigger by any means but this isn't a target rifle.. just a good old varmint rifle for the field. For $85.00 shipped I think this is about the best deal I've found on a trigger yet ( http://www.riflebasix.com/savage.html ). Once adjusted there truly is no creep on the trigger and very constant tension!