Rifle barrel vise?

kmw1954

Been getting more into rifle shooting and am getting near replacing a barrel or two on a couple Savage rifles. I have the NSS action wrench along with both Savage barrel nut wrenches for the grooved and smooth nuts.

When I replaced the barrel on my Model 11 which came with a smooth nut I really struggled and it was later suggested that I use a barrel vise. Well at the time I thought this was going to be a one and done operation. Well now looks like I will be doing another one or maybe 2

So what vise to get? I don't believe I will be doing regular barrel work so I don't want to spend a ton of money on a top of the line tool that may be used once a year or less.

ligonierbill

I think mine is a Wheeler, currently just over $100. It's a pretty simple device, but very sturdy. You'll need a bag of resin, too. Have fun!

ballardw

There are lots of do-it-yourself plans for a barrel vise. Have you looked at any of those to see if you are comfortable with the plans and have necessary tools?

Some are as simple as tapered v-shaped jaws for a large bench vise.

44 AMP

Staff
Ordinary bench vice has been working well enough for centuries now, proper fitting barrel blocks are the key.