rifle advice

rebs

Can you guys advise me on which rifle and caliber to buy ? I want an accurate rifle to shoot 50 to 300 yards.

ilmonster

Well, I'll start this one out! What is the intended purpose of the rifle? Punching paper (if so, just casually vs. you want to get into Benchrest or something else specific), clanging steel, hunting game, varmint control, self defense, etc.? A combination of a few of these? Most rifles over .22LR will be more accurate than the shooter from 0 to 300 yds. What's your definition of accuracy (1/4" groups at 100 yds, 1.5" groups at 100 yds., etc.)?

Have you shot other rifles in the past, or is this one to learn on?

Do you "like" or have an interest in a certain type of rifle? Bolt action, semi-auto, lever action, etc.?

What's you price range - $300 Savage .223 or $3000 GA Precision 6mm Creedmoor.

Do you have a need for optics?

Do you reload or have an interest in getting into reloading? Makes some of the more expensive cartridges much more accessible.

Not knowing any of this, I'll begin with a .223 from one of the major manufacturers will get you to 300 yds. easily with great accuracy, low recoil and low cost. Something more off beat/unique might be a 6.5 Grendel for instance, which will do 0 - 300 yds also and make larger holes in paper which might be easier to spot for those of us with older eyes. Give us a bit more info. and folks will be able to narrow down their suggestions. Cheers!

Last edited:

MTT TL

Rifle General is wide open. If you could narrow it down a bit by going in to other preferences it would likely get better replies.

T. O'Heir

"...the intended purpose..." And a budget.
You could read all the other like questions on the forum too.
Now go buy the highest grade CMP M1 Rifle you can afford. There ain't no rifle that's quite like an M1. And they're going fast.

Don Fischer

Boy lot of room here. generally I think I'd be looking at something like the 260 Rem/6.5 Credmoore or maybe a 7mm-08. Either should be accurate and be fine cartridge's for hunting anything up to a moose should you want to hunt. If you reload, all can be made from a 308 case, simply run a 308 case through a die for the 6.5' ot the 7mm-08. Gotta pause a min. I've read where lot of people make the 6.5 CM from 308 case's but it's supposed to be made from a different 30 cal cartridge that was based on the 300 Savage. I think for a handloader, the 308 is the saving grace there if it really works. As for what rifle, depend's on what action you think you like. I do bolt actions, most people seem to. I have a couple Mossberg Patriot's, several 700 Rem's, a Mod 70 Win and a 1903 Springfield. The 1903 Springfield is the least accurate, only does about 1 1/4" at 100 yards. It's also the oldest by far. Built as a custom in 1946! Lot of rounds through it. Mod 70 is next doing only about 1 1/4" at 100yds The Remington and the Mossberg's all run well under an inch! Sounds like Savage and Ruger American are also very accurate. For me, plastic stock's are a turn off but they do seen to generally be very accurate.

bamaranger

vehicle

Might as well ask what vehicle to buy to drive 50-300 miles.

If you can spec out your intended purpose and interests a bit more, you'll get better responses:)

jmr40

Shoot what? Paper, deer, larger game! What about a budget? You can spend $200-$2000 depending on how much you are willing to spend.

Doyle

Rebs is a senior member with over 3500 posts so I'm thinking this one is simply a troll designed provide a moment of levity.

10-96

He didn't even mention if those will be front yards or back yards. That's a lot of yards to shoot at.

rebs

this would be 95% target shooting with possibly a 5% chuck hunting. Prefer a bolt action, I do reload. The range is 50 to 300 yds because that is what our club has. Benchrest shooting. Up til now I have been shooting a Colt match target AR and a savage 99c. I would like to move to a bolt action. A scope also.

burrhead

Either a Savage or a custom rifle built from the ground up. Either a Bushnell or a Swarovski scope. Either 223 or 6X. Do you want to spend $600 or $6,000?

burrhead

Seriously, if it were me I'd get a 223 Savage, put on a Bartlein barrel or equivalent, VX-3i 4.5-14 x 50 Leupold and call it a day.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
No real argument with Burrhead, although I note that I had no trouble for sub-MOA groups at 500 yards with my scope set on 10X, and I'm a fan of Leupold scopes.

Wyosmith

I would look very closely at a Ruger American or a CZ 527, both in 223 caliber. Either one of those would be superb for the purpose you described.