Ricochet sound?

Maser

If this subject is in poor taste or it exhibits poor firearm safty then please remove this thread. If not then who else agrees with me that the sound of a riccochet is cool. I mean as long as the bullet is still going down range and not going to hit anyone or anything then I don't see any problem with it. I don't know why but I just love that sound. I used to think it was just a cartoon sounding effect when I was a little kid, but when I heard a real riccochet in real life it was such a cool sound.

By the way I got the idea for this topic while reading a post here about the sound of a bullet breaking the sound barrier. :p

TheBluesMan

Moderator Emeritus
The first time I heard an actual ricochet was while shooting at bowling pins with a .38 special FMJ. It was a cool sound, but I stopped shooting immediately.

A ricochet is the sound of an out-of-control projectile. I like control. :)

-Dave

It is an out of control projectile, sure enough, and very importantly, they are not always going down range. Some come back while making cool noises! :eek:

and that ain't cool.

Dre_sa

yeah that is a cool sound, but like the others said, safety first.
me and a friend were at one stage getting pretty good with our air rifles, and we used to make the little .177 mushrooms make that noise by getting low to a concrete surface and 'skimming' them off of it. im pretty sure it was the pellet biting into the concrete and tumbling off down range. it was fun...

Easy E

One day when I was 14, I was shooting with my dad and uncle in an old strip mine. Firing at bottles and cans and various junk with .22 pistols, when suddenly "ZINGGG!" That cool riccochet sound. Then my right thigh hurt as if stung by a very large bee.

It's still a cool sound, but I still half expect that bee to be following when I hear it.

ElkSlayer6x5

I have had .22 go Zinggg. :eek: Saw a movie in hunter safty back in 79/80.
It showed exactly what Easy E said! :( so when i hear that cool sound.
I rethink the situation. :eek: Have never heard anything larger, sure it sound's neet but would rather skip that noise.

blume357

I bounce 22s off my families pond all the time

nearest house is about a mile away thru woods and over hill, so not to worried. So, you got to know what's behind your target. I'm planning to hand a 1/4" steel plate with a fold in it between two trees... that will be letting 22s bounce off it all day long.

Doubletaptap

Blume that's totally crazy!!! And irresponsible. I hope you do this alone so no one else has to go to the hospital or morgue with you! How do you know which way that bullet is going to go? Physic?
I'm sure if you have done much reading on firearms safety you would have read, DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT fire into water because of the chances of deflection hurting you or someone else.
I have seen gong shooters get hit with their own bullets coming back at them.
It's not nice to fool with the laws of nature,and mother nature will always win sooner or later.
DO NOT DO IT.
I feel if you persist you will be hurt or someone should take your toys away.
George

1) I have NEVER had a bullet ricochet off water-except for a pellet gun!
2) You can very much control where a ricochet goes by controling the surface and angle at which you shoot.
3) I have even shot subsonic ammuniton at a steel plate at an angle and it did not ricochet-it splattered!
4) I have had a 22 short ricochet-off many things.
5) I have had a 22 L.R subsonic rocochet off an angular piece of square pipe at 100 yards-one of the coolest noises EVER. Most ricochets sound kinda like those from movies. The one's hitting the square pipe were multi-tonal and sounded so awesome that i had to expend about 20rnds doing this-it was up in the catskills and no one lived closer then 2miles away on the opposite side of the mountain!!
Stupid, maybe, but its already been done-so no use griping about it!!!
Chase

Doubletaptap

Ok, so if you all are doing this,then turn around and preach gun safety....
just like the politicians,say one thing,do another.
Gun safety rules were written for a purpose. They are not suggestions.
"I have done this many times" is famous last words.
Rates right up there with,"hold my beer and watch this,"
If you all want to endanger yourselves,it's no skin off my nose. I will continue to enjoy shooting safely, and not trying to do stupid tricks to make a sound.
When someone gets hurt doing this, please write me so I can say I told you so.
George

skeeter1

I can only remember it once, about 30 years ago -- shooting .22s at frozen cowpies (it was -20F) on a farm. It was rather cool sounding.

Big Mac

I'm curious, how are you hearing ricochets? By that I mean are you wearing proper hearing protection when you're shooting? If so a ricochet shouldn't be that distinctive? Then again I have yet to hear a definite ricochet nor am I inclined to change this fact willingly.

Shooting at water?!? What the hell!? That's the first thing you learn NOT to do in a hunting course. That house may be almost a mile away but what if you hit someone who isn't that nearly as far as that house? How are you going to explain to their family you were just shooting at water?

I've done some dumb things with guns but I always learned not to repeat them and learn from them as much as possible.

The amateur will extoll things that seem "cool" but a true professional doesn't care what sounds or looks "cool", but what gets the job done right.

Shooting at water

Perhaps these people who shoot at water (no flame intended) are simply influenced by teh tons of video they see on the internet of people shooting at water with no consequnces. most notable defense reviews website has a plethora of video depicting this act. I dont do it. You shouldnt do it but its up to you.

SW

Big Mac

I saw one that was entitled "How not to shoot a gun" it was showing what happens when you fire a handgun sideways. The scary thing is the guy was shooting at a pond. I'm wondering if it was meant to be ironic or just plain ignorant?

I suppose it's up to the shooter on whether to throw in a needlessly risky factor into their shooting.

aspen1964

the sound of a ricocheting bullet does makes an interesting sound..it also makes me wonder where the bullet might be heading:confused:

It scares the he** out of me. A firearm and the firing there of is something I do not take lightly. Call me paraniod but I have not once hit anything I did not intend to. You can never take the shot back once it's fired so be damn carefull where it's headed. If you don't you might just find yourself sitting in a "free" apartment with no guns at all.

Dean C

I was shooting with some friends a couple weeks ago. We had a pistol range set up. This one friend was shooting a S&W 40 (not sure the gun) at some bowling pins at about 7 - 8 yards. We had spooled them up on a rod so they would rotate when hit. I was standing about 5 feet behind the firing line and at least 20 feet to his right. The shells from the 40 were dropping perhaps 9 feet from me. I thought that ejector was a real "over achiever". Well, all of a sudden something dropped right in front of me. Now I new the 40 was an "over achiever" when it came to ejecting but wow that must have been real anomoly until I looked down and found a .40 slightly deformed bullet just a foot in front of me. It must have been tumbling when it hit the pin (due to the deformation) and continued to tumble as it dropped in front of me (due to the distance). The only energy left in that bullet when it hit the ground was gravity and the wieght. I suspect it might have "smarted" if it hit me on the head. I carry it around in my pocket as a "good luck" trinkit now.
dean