RIA vs American Classic

xMINORxTHREATx

Hey all. Decided that my first 1911 is going to be either a Rock Island Armory or American Classic.

4 inch slide, satin or black finish hasn't been decided yet. Preferably with Novak style sights. Then have some gun-smithing done to it. Then some customs wood grips with a saying (my forum signature) engraved on it, with some shamrocks and filigree.

I just can't decide between the two.

I've handled the RIA ones, and they feel pretty good, but I've never even seen an American Classic, much less handled one.

So has anyone here handled both for comparison? or own one or the other and give me your thoughts on it?

Olympus

I've owned an Armscor pistol before and handled a full sized American Classic before. Both are well-built guns. I didn't see a lot of mechanical differences between the two. The Armscor I had was a Citadel Compact and it was a dud. The finish was thin and poor quality and the front sight came loose and would slide from one side to the other. I don't plan on buying another. But the American Classic Commander is on my list to buy, probably at the top. It's a true commander size, 4.25". I believe the RIA is considered a mid-size and is 4".

If you're looking for a gun that will have a better quality finish then I would recommend the American Classic. But if you're looking for a gun to use hard and put up wet, so to speak, then probably the RIA would be the better bet. It all depends on what you plan on doing with the gun and what you're looking for.

xMINORxTHREATx

Possibly carry it every once in a while, use in IDPA every now and then, but mostly just a range piece and something I want to look nice and classy. I just don't want to spend over like $600 on my first 1911, not knowing if I will buy more or not. If I buy another one, it will be higher quality, like a Kimber or DW or the like, and I would put the custom grips on it.
I just have a great looking design drawn up for 1911 grips and really want to use them on something. haha

cougar gt-e

Possibly carry it every once in a while, use in IDPA every now and then, but mostly just a range piece and something I want to look nice and classy. I just don't want to spend over like $600 on my first 1911, not knowing if I will buy more or not. If I buy another one, it will be higher quality, like a Kimber or DW or the like, and I would put the custom grips on it.

I try to buy quality when ever possible. Why not just get the higher quality gun first so you know you won't be disappointed?

michael t

American Classic is Blue or satin hard chrome finish. I vote AC but both are good. Now for all the stuff you want to do Might as well take that money and other pistol money and buy a Colt . Start with a good Commander.
Not a Kimber . For some reason Colt, American Classic or RIA don't need a 500 round break in . They work out of box as do many other 1911's . Never understood the Kimber 500 round story. My Dan Wesson way better built than Kimber and no 500 round break in needed. My Kimber was still a dog at 500 rounds :barf:.

bdb benzino

I have owned 2 RIA's, 1 American Classic, and 1 Springfeild Loaded. The only one I have still is the Metro Arms American Classic, if that tells you anything. They all were flawless in operation, but the AC was better fit and looked better! YMMV.

jhog1

When some one says American Classic 1911 I can't help but think of Remington Rand, Colt, Springfield, Ithaca Gun Company ..........

Olympus

When some one says American Classic 1911 I can't help but think of Remington Rand, Colt, Springfield, Ithaca Gun Company

I agree. Something about a Filipino-made 1911 called the American Classic just doesn't mesh. I would have voted for a more neutral name. But it doesn't bother me enough to not buy one. Between the RIA and the American Classic, the AC will look a lot classier than the RIA. The ACs I've seen had a bluing very similar to what you see on the Series 70 Colts.

When I get one, I plan on getting the blued commander, bobbing the tail, machining the words off the slide, rebluing it, and changing a few of the small parts to stainless.

xMINORxTHREATx

machining the words off the slide

Are the words shallow enough to do that? If so, I will probably have that done. Get a blued one, machine the letters off, and then re-finish it in a satin chrome. That way I get the two tone look I really want.

Also, the reason I'm getting one of these "economy" 1911's is that my gun smith is putting together a new package deal for his shop, new barrel, hammer, trigger job etc. and wants me to compare it to his Wilson Combat Supergrade Classic, and write up a testimonial and review and what not. If I'm not pleased with it, he will pay for it all.

Last edited:

Olympus

From the ones I've seen, the words are shallow enough to machine off.

Sounds like you've got a pretty sweet deal worked out with your gunsmith. I'd say go for it and post plenty of pictures!

michael t

That be a sweet deal get the AC . I still trying to get the importer to mail me(threw my dealer of course) a new blue commander. I want to build a Ed Brown kroba clone I have my DW but I think a Blue AC bob would be nice with Brown bobbed main spring , trigger group, night sites, slide lock and Beaver tail. A free pistol and I just be out parts Such a deal :rolleyes:

LordTio3

I have never heard of any serious problems with either the American Classic or the Rock Island 1911 design. They don't have the fit and finish of, say, a Springfield Mil-Spec or GI, but if you're starting a project 1911, what is that really worth? The $100 difference? Probably not seeing's how you're going to be getting up to your elbows in it anyway (or your smith).

Plus, if you pay more for a Springfield or Colt, you don't want to be doing too much smithing to it or you'll void that nice warranty you paid extra for. Don't have to worry about that with the RIA or AC because you don't pay extra for it. You give them money, they give you a gun.

I wouldn't advise you against either of these. They are both good platforms for building a good 1911 project.

~LT

PS- we better be getting pictures in the next few months.

erob3

I have handled the American Classic and I own a RIA 1911 9mm Tactical; I really like my RIA. The finishes are very different - the American Classic is blue while the RIA is dark parkerized. Personally I think I like the finish on the Classic better, I do not like the front serrations on the Classic - all personal taste of course. As to which of the 2 I would buy I can't say since I have not shot the Classic although I have read many good things about the Classic. I can say that if you decide to buy the RIA you will not be dissappointed, it has been flawless for me.

bdb benzino

They don't have the fit and finish of, say, a Springfield Mil-Spec or GI,

You are right, my Metro Arms 1911 was way better fit than my Springfeild loaded! Maybe I got a good one, but it seems alot of others got a good one as well.

xMINORxTHREATx

I still haven't decided which one. haha

Both have very good track records. And decent shooters out of the box.

So it might come down to looks.

American Classics come in a two tone, satin top blued bottom, and thats what I'm going for. With that, I will only have to Duracoat the controls to get the contrasting look going on.

At the same time, the RIA has a more manageable logo placement on the slide. Some of the American Classics I've seen have a lot more writing on the slide.

Decisions decisions....

Olympus

The American Classic shouldn't come in a two-tone finish. At least not that I'm aware of. It's my understanding that they only make a blued version and a hard chrome version. If you're seeing enough variation in a blued version to mistake it for a two-tone, then it sounds like there is some finish problems with the one you are looking at. I believe the blued version should have slightly polished blued "flats" and satin "rounds". So any completely flat areas should have a little polish and any areas that are rounded should be satin. I would take a little closer look. Something doesn't sound right.