RIA Officer's VS. XD .40-45

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Out of the box running condition?
Weight? I get 26 ounces for the XD but is this an empty gun? Mag or no Mag?

From searches, I find 2+ pounds for the RIA... is their weight with or without ammo? With or without mag?

Could be the deal maker/breaker for me right there...

Brent

Don P

Gun weight is without ammo and XD mags weigh roughly 3oz. and 45 mags are 2.5oz

My XD 45 acp mag weighs 3.6oz

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
So we are looking at a half pound... MINIMUM more for the RIA over the XD before loading? With the increased capacity of the double stack XD, will it weigh close to the same as the loaded single stack .45 Officer's or is it still gonna be significantly heavier?

No matter what I settle on, full loaded mags is a must... I can live with 6 in a single or 14 in a double but will not down load a mag to reduce overall weight... Not at this point anyway...

Brent

RickMD

The additional 8 cartridges will add exactly 6 ounces to the total weight of the pistol so you're looking at approximately the same loaded weight when comparing the two weapons.

KyJim

My Springfield 1911 weight loaded is 47.3oz
XD 45 weight loaded is 40.3oz
The OP said it was an Officer. The shorter barrel and one less round will cut some of the weight off.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Upon further thought... I reckon I will go with the XD or similar with the higher capacity as my utilitarian daily carry with a 1911 variant in the future for my "goin' out on sunday" Bar-B-Que event concealed carry piece:cool:

Recent social events have caused me to rethink the efficacy of a reduced capacity carry weapon... Might need a few more "2 CoM assess one to throat or higher reassess..." rinse and repeat mind set...

Brent

labhound

My XD45 loaded with 13 rounds of 230 gr FMJ weighs 39.65 oz. My Nighthawk Talon 5" 1911 loaded with 8 rounds of 230 gr FMJ weighs 46.2 oz. The reason I bought the XD45 was for increased capacity over my 8 shot 1911 and my 8 shot Stoeger Cougar 8045.

Olympus

Compact 1911s are notorious for having feed problems with HP ammo. I had a Citadel Compact (made by Armscor like RIA) and it would not feed any kind of HP ammo. I read the manual and it says they are not made for HP ammo and may need modification by a qualified gunsmith. As a carry gun, that was a deal breaker for me so I sold the gun.