RIA 5.0 -- anyone have any opinions?

Sevens

Has this new pistol, new design been discussed anywhere on TFL Forums?

"The search is your friend" they will say. :rolleyes: And some folks are far more skilled at the search than I am. When the model name is as succinct as 5.0 and only expanded with RIA, the search engine either gives you nothing, or every occurrence of RIA.

If you have chatted about this pistol on TFL and can find the discussion, please link it here.

Otherwise, let's talk about it now!

Items up for discussion:

• RIA went on a media blitz in Jan/Feb 2023 and debuted this at the SHOT Show '23
  • Fred Craig designed it... and then swiftly left RIA immediately after..?!
  • this pistol uses a locking system that is either absolutely new, or at least newly refined and the only of it's kind being used
  • the release to the general public was just after a handful had been sent to gun magazines, Youtube channels, etc and the only way to get one was from Advanced Tactical out of Nevada
  • I managed to get one pretty early -- received it on March 3rd but I suspect that RIA has had some production issues and not many more have since been shipped...? Because -NOBODY- seems to be discussing this anywhere now...?
  • I did my own amateur review of it on another forum that I can either link here or copy & paste. I don't do videos and I mostly loathe Youtube
  • sorry, it has been a crazy busy spring/summer, and I have only a bit over 400 rounds through it so far. Operation -- loading, feeding, firing, extraction, ejection have all been 100% flawless in these few rounds. Zero issues, zero bobbles, zero questions, no mysteries, no concerns.

What else, folks? Has anyone seen one for sale? Has anyone wanted one but could not get? Has anyone bought one and shot it?

Anyone a dealer or know a dealer that has inquired? Does anyone know why these are not shipping en masse?

wild cat mccane

Classic misstatements by a lot the reviewers that anyone can see.

-The bore axis is not lower, the axis is actually very high. Measuring finger to top of slide? It appears actually very tall. With no protruding controls, it's rather normal width with no obviously large triangular peak at the top. It might be chunker that it looks on paper is what I'm saying.

-Claiming it's aluminum for weight increase. Increase of M&P Metal and M&P compact is 3 oz. Aluminum doesn't weigh more against polymer if there isn't a polymer version to compare. Steel for increase weight? sure. Aluminum? Not really.

That said, interesting looking. Sku US5.0ST returns nothing on gun.deals or gunbroker.

Last edited:

wild cat mccane

Looking again, major flub on the top of the tang that was bothering me but didn't want to say. But now anyone can confirm with in their stock photos. Not one person in the many multiple stock photos have the web of their thumb locked into the tang. For me, this area is where lots of flip control comes from. Certainly in a CZ likesh design.

Usually see this on women with smaller hands the tang is not designed to (very clear with the female pic they have) but not on large man hands.

That's going to be a a problem for the current frame design. Especially when claiming "deeper bore axis." Who cares if my hand doesn't grip it right.

https://advancedtactical.com/ria-5.0/

Last edited:
I'm not impressed. The images I've seen remind me of the ill-fated Hudson semi-auto that was shown at the SHOT Show a few years ago but never really gained any traction in the marketplace. My gut feeling is that Armscor felt a need for a polymer semi-auto, and they looked around to find something that none of the other major brands was selling. This is the result.