RIA 1911's

Rifletom

I'm sure this has been tossed around before, but, I will ask:
For the guy or gal, who just wants an inexpensive but reliable 1911 in .45acp for just plinking, HD or whatever, and doesn't want to spend too much money, is there anything wrong with these? I was on another forum, and this one poster just couldn't say enough bad things about the RIA 1911's, when most other people were saying "whats wrong with them?" They seem like a pretty damn decent pistol to me, but, I am asking. Thanks guys.

egor20

Rifletom

I've carried a RIA CS for about 6 years now, 2 FTFs and 1 FTE (or visa versa) it was the ammo not the gun, I trust it.

KyJim

I don't own one but have seen enough people posting here and on dedicated 1911 boards to know they have a good reputation as basic, functional 1911s. Not what you would want to start with to do an expensive custom build but that's not what you want. They also have a great reputation for customer service. Some of the other Philippine 1911 makers don't have that same reputation.

SilentHitz

Some people just think you have to spend $800 or 1K for a good 1911. I have 2 Ria Tactical models that run just as well as any of my others...if it's a jam-o-matic, it don't stay in my safe long. One of mine came with a cheapo mag. that didn't wanna feed, replaced it with a Wilson I had in my stash and problem solved.

egor20

They also have a great reputation for customer service.

Never used it for my .45 but I had excellent service for my .38 Armcor 206 to shave the hammer down. they paid the whole deal, shipping back and forth, and to redo the hammer.

Hog Red

bought mine for exactly the same reasons you mentioned. it does what it's supposed to do everytime. no worries. name doesn't mean anything, the two autos that i have the most problems with happen to be a colt and a S&W.

Rifletom

Thanks guys for the replies, keep them coming. I believe if I buy another 1911, it would probably be an RIA. In .45acp of course.

egor20

Rifletom

I carry the 3.5" barrel CS, a few of my farm hands carry the 5" barrel RIA, Both are nice, but I prefer the 3.5" myself. I carried the 5" issued for 22 years (off and on in the Navy), the 3.5 is a little lighter.:D

Edit: to say (Rem, Singer, Colt)

Never carried a "Rock" in the Navy..
Don't want to confuse you.

Last edited:

Carry_24/7

I have experience with them through friends, and they are trustworthy when properly cared for. As always though, any manufacturer can put out a lemon (I've heard of but never seen such a lemon).

egor20

Rifletom

Rifletom
I carry the 3.5" barrel CS, a few of my farm hands carry the 5" barrel RIA, Both are nice, but I prefer the 3.5" myself. I carried the 5" issued (Rem, Singer, Colt) for 22 years (off and on in the Navy), the 3.5 is a little lighter.

Edit: to say (Rem, Singer, Colt)

Never carried a "Rock" in the Navy..
Don't want to confuse you.

ksblazer

I was a little leery about the RIA 1911's but after hearing so many good comments about them. I took the plunge a couple of years later. (wish I would have done it sooner, could have saved a few $$) I bought a RIA Compact Tactical in .45acp. Can't say I have ever regreted purchasing this pistol. It's been accurate, reliable and fun to shoot. A couple of years after that I got a good deal on a used but like new A1 model. It's been accurate and trouble free at the range as well. IMO they make a great 1911 for the $$.

Smaug

A little nice gun for not much more money is the Para GI Expert. I got mine locally for $550. I think you can get them for $500 or less if you shop carefully.

- They have a powdercoat finish, which is more durable than parkerizing.
- They have BOTH sights dovetailed in, not just the rear
- It comes with (2) stainless 8 round magazines, instead of blued or parkerized 7 rounders
- It has a ring hammer that never bites the web of the hand.
- Nice white dot sights

It all depends on just how basic you want the gun. To me, these features were enough to make it worth more to me.

irish52084

I loved my RIA tactical 2 tone. Had a good trigger and the frame to slide fit was tight. It compared very favorable to my past, much more expensive 1911's. I'd buy another RIA with no reservations.

Duckkkkk

You read enough gun boards and 1911 sites, and after a while you get a very good feel for what brands are good, and what brands are junk, what brands are riding on past reputation, and what brands provide good customer service for the few expected issues that do crop up.

Balance everything out, price, customer service, number of complaints, gun features, even the number of gun models you see on the used market, and then make your pick.

RIA, is number two in my 1911 gun choice after the SR1911. If the later don't start showing up and at decent prices, then I'm going to thinking harder about buying a RIA.

icedog88

The Rock

Always wanted a 1911 .45 so i traded my taurus millennium pro and got the Rock nine months ago. Price,$399 for the officer's model. Best move. Slowly customized it til i got what i wanted without going too far. Great shooter, carry it daily.

coop2564

Cant beat them for the money...and they just work!;)
Not bad to look at either.

1911_pac.jpg

Duckkkkk

I really want a stainless model, I think that is the biggest thing for me with Ruger over RIA.

I wish they made one.

Last edited: